Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst arm in baseball???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:44 am

In spring training, Frank Thomas tagged up and moved from 2nd to 3rd on a fly ball to Randy Winn in centerfield. Now that's a weak arm.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:45 am

And then there's David Eckstein, who has to practically run the ball halfway to first before he flings his whole body in the air to get the ball over to first base.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby Baggins » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:07 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:I remember once seeing Piazza try to gun somebody out at 2nd base and he hit his own pitcher....

....and yes, the pitcher ducked. 8-o

How much will it cost me to dig up archived footage of this? :-D
"Back then, if you had a sore arm, the only people concerned were you and your wife. Now it's you, your wife, your agent, your investment counselor, your stockbroker, and your publisher." -- Jim Bouton
Baggins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)

Weakest Arm is sports

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:31 pm

Enjoying the MLB baseball package season long, I get to watch many games and in my opinion whomever plays CF for the Yankees has the worst arm in sports .. Take your pick: Bernie or Lofton, they both throw like chickens stricken with some form muscular deficiency. Another NY sports figures they compare to is: Chad Pennington
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:48 pm

Oh man, Kenny Lofton. I'll never forget one game where he loaded up to throw a guy out at the plate and fired it home. It bounced near second base, rolled weakly over the pitcher's mound, and finally Miller had to run up to grab it to keep the hitter from taking third. Fantastic!

As far as weak catcher's arms go, Paul Bako is pretty bad. He tends to throw it with pretty good speed, but his accuracy... well, let's just say he could hit the broad side of a barn at 90 feet, only if the wind blew it in the right direction.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby jonnyblack » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:33 pm

Jeff Fassero.

Luis Gonzalez (injury helps, but it wasn't all that good in the first place)

How about Shawon (sp?) Dunston? He had a freakin rocket but you never knew where it was going. How many times did he sail a millile into the stads, 20 feet over the first baseman's head?

As for the whole Range, Zone, Pudge Piazza argument.

One poster came out and said something to the effect of "Not only is Piazza's arm the worst, he is the worst athlete."

Similar Ranges and Zones might suggest that Pudge and Piazza have simlilar raw athletic ability, or, at the very least, suggest that Piazza is not "the worst athlete in baseball." He can hit, yes. It take some sort of athletic ability to do so.

To me, he is no way the athlete that pundge is. But he is also no way the worst athlete. His arm sure does blow. every once and a gain, it all just comes out right and he mows somebody down. But those are few and far between.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers