Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers in the steals category

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:18 am

I'd grab Willie Harris. He's leading off for the ChiSox, and Ozzie says he wants him to steal at every opportunity, because that's why they have him. Somethign like "He's not here for defense, or to hit HR's, he's here to steal bases and score runs". He was mad he wasn't running enough, and he has 4 SB's already. After that urging to steal, I'm sure he can finish with 40 easily, and 50 is a possibility. It seems like they're working Uribe into the lineup too, but I think Harris will get plenty of AB's. And best of all, in a few days he'll have 2B qualification ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:36 am

LBJackal wrote:I'd grab Willie Harris. He's leading off for the ChiSox, and Ozzie says he wants him to steal at every opportunity, because that's why they have him. Somethign like "He's not here for defense, or to hit HR's, he's here to steal bases and score runs". He was mad he wasn't running enough, and he has 4 SB's already. After that urging to steal, I'm sure he can finish with 40 easily, and 50 is a possibility. It seems like they're working Uribe into the lineup too, but I think Harris will get plenty of AB's. And best of all, in a few days he'll have 2B qualification ;-D

;-D Took the words out of my mouth. Keep an eye on Willie Harris.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:10 am

Ryan Freel is a deep speed sleeper. And he's now eligible for 3B and OF. Had 9 steals in 43 games last year and good minor league steal numbers. However, since he's in for an injured Brandon Larson, he will need an injury or ineffectiveness in the Cincinnati lineup to remain full time. Since Griffey, Dunn, and Kearns are the outfielders, injury is a good bet.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby sammyfan711 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:01 am

Erstad now qualifies at 1B; he could end up with 25 steals this year. Not a lot of power yet, but it is nice to get some steals from a slow position.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Juiced Up » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:14 pm

dave roberts for the dodgers averages 40 steals a year!
he's leading the league as of right now with 13. he's your sleeper for steals!!
Juiced Up Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby EK711 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:34 pm

What about Jerry Hairston Jr.? I haven't seen an update recently on how his finger is doing, but the kid has got some wheels. If he comes back and bats leadoff for the O's with the way their lineup has been clicking, he could have a nice year. I remember the last 2 years in my leagues he was always a hot pickup. Seems like he could fly in low on the radar for many. If I had an open DL spot I'd snatch him up fast.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby G-Man » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:37 pm

it will be interesting what happens once hairston comes back, but the talk around here is that one of them will be traded before the break (to the yanks potentially). hairston seems to be fairly brittle and now that roberts' bat has come to life after his 0-21ish start, it might be best to hold off on hairston....
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers