Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will get more saves, Borowski or Nathan??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will get more saves, Borowski or Nathan??

Postby Rin04 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:57 pm

Who will be better this season borowski or nathan.

thanks
Rin04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Nathan Vs Joe Bo

Postby Ry-Guy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:35 am

I gotta go with Nathan. I think he'll save about 30-34. I think Borowski will eventually lose his job to LaTroy Hawkins or at least lose a bunch of save chances to him. I think Borowski will end up with 27-30 saves. Nathan should be the better choice overall as far as saves, ERA, and K's go.
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brdmaverick » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:00 am

Borowski has had a few easy saves the last few times out. The weather has been horrible at Wrigley, with wind gust blowing towards the fences. I would expect Borowski to settle down.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:05 am

Nathan. He's off ot a good start, and I don't see him running into many problems this year. 40 saves would be reasonable. Even at his best last year, without LaTroy pressuring him, Borowski only had 33 saves. But then again, save opps are random, so you never know.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:08 am

Borowski. Better team, less risky.

Are you people trying to say that a guy with 4 weeks of closing under his belt is less of a sure thing than a guy who has been a pretty sucessful over a two plus year time span? Look at Nathan's history, very sketchy. The only time in his long career he ever posted a decent WHIP and ERA was last year, pitching in the biggest pitcher's park in baseball.

Don't forget that at this time 3 years ago, everyone thought Hawkins was hot shit for Minnesota because he racked up a bunch of saves in the first month. As it turned out, he was terrible and had like a 5.50 ERA closing, and lost his job. This failure is also a good reason that the Cubs will be hesitant to yank Borowski and turn to Hawkins.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:43 pm

LBJackal wrote:Nathan. He's off ot a good start, and I don't see him running into many problems this year. 40 saves would be reasonable. Even at his best last year, without LaTroy pressuring him, Borowski only had 33 saves. But then again, save opps are random, so you never know.

I respectfully disagree with you LBJackal on Nathan. He is not off to a good start in my mind. Does he have a bunch of saves at this point? Sure, he has 6. But, the guy has a 3.00 ERA (not bad, but not lights out), and in 9 innings pitched has given up 10 hits and 7 walks. The only thing saving him from worse ERA is a solid defense and his 11 strikeouts. However, his 11 strikeouts is a bit of a surprise because the guy lacks true fastball velocity and even though he has a good array of pitches, he tends to go long in counts because he doesn't have that zippy fastball you want in your closer. I view Nathan as a solid bet (as of right now) to hold down his job. But.....he'll give you a heartattacks along the way.

I agree with you when you say save opportunities are random. That's why the top 10 in saves each season is always changiong up.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Return to Baseball Leftovers