Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Issues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Issues

Postby ZAZ » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:51 am

Sorry since I am sure this topic has been discussed and debated to death over the years, but I have an issue with the H2H format now. It's my first year doing it this way and do actually like it, but not sure if I prefer it. My problem is that this is the second week in a row in which my opponent had about 6 or 7 batters goings on Monday night and those players will play out the week (for the most part) as well. He also has more starts with pitching this week again. Of course this gives him a big advantage. My question is, is this bad luck or will everything even itself out by the end of the season? If it's the former, I think H2H has soe real problems creating an equal season. Any thoughts?
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rolenfan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:03 am

What you describe only gives him a big advantage if his players have a good week. The opposite can be true as well. A group of hitters can go .450 one week and .200 the next, pitchers might have a .090 ERA one week and 27.00 the next.

We all want to be optimists and think they will all perform well every week, but over the course of a season it will balance out.

The real isue in H2H is should you move players every week, trying to figure out who will have the best week, or should you get a roster you are comfortable with and stick with it? This brings matchups into play in a big way.

Pick up .300 hitters that are going to CO and Wrigley this week and drop hitters playing in SD or LA? Keep Kennedy (CO pitcher) until they are on a homestand then drop him?

I try to keep three low ERA starters, keep two good closers and fill out my staff with long relievers with low ERA's. Offensively, keep a strong bench so you can move around based on matchups.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fishingmn » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:47 am

I'm not sure extra starts are a huge issue.

Consider first that a number of teams with Monday games have Thursday off so they only play 6 games.

Secondly, as the above poster mentions, you really need to play the matchups and monitor it along the way. For example, I play my lineup totally different depending upon how my week starts, especially around pitching.

If I start out Mon-Wed with a couple good starts and my ERA/WHIP are looking good (or my opponents is really crappy) I reduce my starters to only preferred matchups and try win those 2 catagories for sure. On the other hand if I blow up (like I did one Monday with Vogelsong starting) I throw in every single pitcher I can for the week so I can at least win the wins, saves & K's catagories.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Return to Baseball Leftovers