Return to Baseball Leftovers

need help valuing m. cabrera?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

need help valuing m. cabrera?

Postby kingman2003 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:48 pm

hello,

i just posted this question in the trade, keeper, waiver forum, but since it is not a specific trade i am inquiring into, maybe this is the better forum. if this is the wrong forum let me know.

i am wondering what cabrera's value is in a standard roto league. this is not a keeper league. i ask b/c i want to add a SP to solidify my rotation, and i have tex coming off the DL. it seems to me that now would be a great time to move cabrera.

so what category of starting pitcher should i expect to get in return for cabrera?

i was thinking that the oswalt, wood or hudson category is a stretch. i realize he qualifies at 3rd, and while this does add to his value, 3rd is not a shallow position in my league. virtually every owner has a viable fantasy 3B on their team.

i was thinking that his value may be more in line with the catgory of pitchers like miller, millwood, wolf. maybe i could get a santana or a beckett, but that seems like a bit of a reach.

i also think the webb type of SP may be a little low.

any thoughts would be appreciated. am i in the right frame of mind. thanks.
kingman2003
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:28 pm

You could probably get a miller, millwood, wolf type pitcher for him. Actually, with Santana's slow start you may be able to get him. Definitely not Beckett or Webb.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby rlee » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:56 pm

I recently offered Cabrera and Isringhausen for Bagwell. The other team owner never replied to the offer, so I would assume he was less than enthused (I thought it was fair)

While this doesn't answer your question directly, I would agree that Cabrera alone would be able to fetch a Wolf, Millwood, Miller, type pitcher. He could very well have a 30-110 year if Pierre and Castillo get hot. :*)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Fantasyballer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:04 pm

if i was the bagwell owner, i would accept that trade without thinking twice. i dont think its fair TO YOUR SIDE. imo, cabrera will end up as good as bagwell and you get a stud closer with that? far to good to pass up.
Fantasyballer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Penny for your Cabrera

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:12 pm

I think others will have an equally difficult time valuing Cabrera since he hasn't a full season's resume. If one believes he can continue this pace, then a Miller, Santana, Beckett should be attainable. And of course under perfect circumstances, trade partner is desperate and has the pitching depth, an upper tier pitcher could be had. Personally, I would be willing to offer up a Penny, Maddux, Escobar, Pineiro type of pitcher. I'd shoot for Penny, think he's turned a corner in his career and could be consistent.
Rob

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby orangecrushv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:18 pm

i've also been pondering trading cabrera, what type of hitter would you expect to be able to trade for?

-rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Bedard » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:00 pm

Don't even think about trading Miguel Cabrera for Johan Santana. Trust me, you're better than that.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers