Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm conflicted...question about spot starting H2H strategy..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm conflicted...question about spot starting H2H strategy..

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:23 pm

Okay, here's the deal.

I'm currently 11-19-0 in 5X5 H2H ball (9th out of 10 places). I drafted a team to specifically hit and attempt to sweep at least the AVG, HR, RBI, and R, as well as 3/5 of the pitching categories. I built this team this way, by drafting about six closers, though none are the greatest.

Now, there are two ways to do this. I know I can hit pretty well and my team's success banks on it. However, with only a 14 IP minimum limit for each week, is it more discreet to just go with closers and try to win ERA, WHIP, and SV (closers tend to have lower ERAs and WHIPs), or try for W, K, and SV, by rotating spot starters in daily.

I was going to do daily spot starts this week, but now I'm reconsidering. I started Lily and Harang yesterday and both lit it up. I don't really want to "waste" those gems, I suppose. However, my opponent has a slew of SPs:

Oswalt
Wood
Brown
Zambrano
Peavy
Wolf
Penny

Along with a glut of closers, himself.

I guess if I don't spot start today (Redding@PIT and Mitre@ARZ), it would make it rather pointless to jump back in later. Gotta make these decisions ASAP, I guess.

Sorry for the long post. It's really conflicting...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:33 pm

You will have no chance if you try to win ERA, WHIP and SV every week. Rotating in starters every day is the way to go. Looking at the team you're going up against, I'd be starting 4 guys every day to be safe (usually you should be able to get by on 3/day).
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby intense » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:40 pm

If you try to win ERA/WHIP w/just closers.... just one bad outing from one of them can really screw that.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:48 pm

Yeah, that's why I thought it would be a bit risky to attempt winning ERA and WHIP.

Y'all are right. Thanks a lot for the advice! I guess I'll head into every week spot starting...hopefully it works. Unfortunately, I'm off to a rough start already, as Redding's start @PIT today was cancelled (actually, the game itself was cancelled).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:33 pm

see you can maybe do that ERA/WHIP thing if you've got gagne, rivera, foulke, and then kolb.

but you need for-sure closers. hell kolb isn't one, but he's been downright rivera-like in his effectiveness thus far. go kolbrecito!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers