Return to Baseball Leftovers

Too Early For Yankees 2 Trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Too Early For Yankees 2 Trade?

Postby The_One » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:23 pm

Even though its early in the season (April) the yankees are in a slump and are in a destin need of pitching. Lieber is coming back from Tommy John, but Contreas is not the pitcher they hoped for. And the batting are in a major slump. Do they trade a minor leaguer or two to acquire a picther, or would they do the rumor trade they were trading Jason Giambi for Tim Hudson. My opinion is that its just to early to trade, and Im sure they break out the slump at one point in the season. Bet i still probably see a trade in Late May or June.
The_One
College Coach
College Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:25 pm

There are rumors about the Big Unit now too.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Re: Too Early For Yankees 2 Trade?

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:29 pm

The_One wrote:Even though its early in the season (April) the yankees are in a slump and are in a destin need of pitching. Lieber is coming back from Tommy John, but Contreas is not the pitcher they hoped for. And the batting are in a major slump. Do they trade a minor leaguer or two to acquire a picther, or would they do the rumor trade they were trading Jason Giambi for Tim Hudson. My opinion is that its just to early to trade, and Im sure they break out the slump at one point in the season. Bet i still probably see a trade in Late May or June.

who are they going to trade? There farm system is about as dry they come, from simlar trades in past years. I don't think they have the young players to trade for Randy Johnson.

Note: Do you think they would have dipped into the major league roster (johnson and soriano) if they had bluechip minor leaguers? the answer is a ofcorse not.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:44 pm

If George has to trade cash for those players he will.

Answer to your question: It's never too early for the Yankees and Steinbrenner to bring in someone new. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby jeffc_76 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:55 pm

The Boss could get impatient but the smart play is to wait. Jeter, A-Rod, and Giambi have slumped badly but those aren't guys that can or will be replaced. A-Rod seems to be getting his stroke back too. Bernie's been terrible but Lofton will come off the DL soon and get some time if Bernie continues to struggle. There's no way they give up on Mussina any time soon and they will give Contreras at least a few more starts to try to work his way out of it. I just don't see them going after a strating pitcher yet, unless a deal just falls into their lap. I'm sure they're open to any trade that will bring in a better 2B but the smart play is to wait because the price will go down toward the trade deadline when teams really want to move players. In the meantime, Miguel Cairo or anyone other than Enrique Wilson should get a look at 2B.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffc_76 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:02 pm

Cairo, base hit, 2RBI. TORRE, ARE YOU WATCHING??? Leave Wilson right where he is. Send him to the minors for a couple weeks if you're afraid you might change your mind and let him play.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:59 pm

Torre should try sticking Cairo in leadoff, be better than the 1-2 punch of Jeter/Williams right now.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:05 pm

I would love to see the Boss make another deal. I have NEVER heard of any rumors about Unit or Hudson but I think there is a very good chance that KC wants to get rid of Beltran so they don't let him go to the FA and the Yanks need a young solid CF with bernie bieng old. Also Vidro is a great possibility, he has both defense and offensive potential and would put up good numbers in a stacked lineup. Plus Montreal always wants to clean house.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:11 pm

The Big Unit rumor on Fox and ESPN comes from this article:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -headlines

No way the Yanks get Beltran in a trade from KC, the Mets have a better chance of pulling that off. If Beltran goes FA then he's a Yankee.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:14 pm

Zito is God wrote:I would love to see the Boss make another deal. I have NEVER heard of any rumors about Unit or Hudson but I think there is a very good chance that KC wants to get rid of Beltran so they don't let him go to the FA and the Yanks need a young solid CF with bernie bieng old. Also Vidro is a great possibility, he has both defense and offensive potential and would put up good numbers in a stacked lineup. Plus Montreal always wants to clean house.

KC really can't trade Beltran , not while they are in contention for the AL central and, with the level of talent in the central, KC never will be out of contention.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers