Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade ethics question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade ethics question

Postby mkooljr1 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:44 pm

So i make an offer through our website, Sportsline, he rejects, and then emails me with a counter offer. He explicitly states that if i would be willing to give up the players he asked for, he would make the trade. So i responded to his e-mail, accepting the offer, and then i tell him i made the official offer on the website to accept. Then, he posts on the message board that he spoke to his partner who was completely against the trade and rejected the offer on the website. He can't possibly be allowed to reject a trade after i accepted his offer, can he? Technically we agreed to a trade through email and just was putting it onto the website to execute the trade. I'm afraid this is going to start an uproar in the league, in which i am the Commish, and want to hear opinions. Thanks.
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:46 pm

:-? you had a verbal agreement, and in my opion he should do the trade. however, if the trade was very unfair, it should be your duty as commish to veto it.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby mkooljr1 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:49 pm

Haha, well it was my trade, and definitely not unfair. And i don't veto trades unless collusion is suspected anyway. Keep the opinions coming!
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:51 pm

name the people involved in the trade here. as in the baseball playaz.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Coach McGuirk » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:01 pm

Personally, I wouldn't think it is a done deal until it goes through the website. Think David Wells/Steinbrenner and their verbal agreement. I would consider an email as basically a "verbal" agreement not a contract.

Sure it sucks for you, but the guy probably shouldn't be making trades unless his partner agrees. I think he probably thought he was tossing some ideas around with you and would make sure his partner agreed before he committed to it.

Just MHO. either way it sucks. good luck.
Coach McGuirk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Z-Dog » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:03 pm

Unfortunately, I agree. The trade was agreed to in an e-mail, but not on the league website, so it was not "done." It's just like if you were talking on the phone, agreed to do the trade, then he backed out. It's a shi%*y move, but it's legal.
"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum."
Z-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikcou » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:08 pm

Z-Dog wrote:Unfortunately, I agree. The trade was agreed to in an e-mail, but not on the league website, so it was not "done." It's just like if you were talking on the phone, agreed to do the trade, then he backed out. It's a shi%*y move, but it's legal.

agreed he should accept it but he doesnt have to. Ethically he probably should but he also should talk to his partner before making trade offers
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:45 pm

If it's not done on the site, it's not a done deal. I don't like it and it stinks for you, but that's the way I see it :-/ . At least you know not to deal with him through e-mail anymore.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jayman » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:26 pm

It's ain't over till it's over.

It ain't accepted till it's accepted.
The contract is the "ACCEPT" button - or whatever it is in your league. Before that either party can change their mind.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers