Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why no Varitek?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why no Varitek?

Postby yankeesrule2004 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:34 pm

Why is he not playing the first game? Did they just not want to use him in both games, or what? I was looking forward to getting two games from him today and he has been hot lately.
yankeesrule2004
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 01, 2004 6:34 pm

Rarely, if ever, does a catcher play both games of a DH. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby hersch223 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:37 pm

Catchers almost never play in both ends of a double header. Too much wear and tear.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Hyde » Sat May 01, 2004 6:41 pm

Maybe he'll pinch hit the first game. ;-D
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:46 pm

Yeah a catcher usually never starts both games and he hasn't been hitting very good of late, Mirabelli on the other hand has 6 hits and 3 homers, that's a little odd. Varitek was a fluke last year in my opinion.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby fiz » Sat May 01, 2004 7:23 pm

shortround_phat2008 wrote:Yeah a catcher usually never starts both games and he hasn't been hitting very good of late, Mirabelli on the other hand has 6 hits and 3 homers, that's a little odd. Varitek was a fluke last year in my opinion.

actually in the last 2 games varitek's gone 4/8 with 2 hrs, and 6 rbi...
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby osb » Sat May 01, 2004 7:29 pm

shortround_phat2008 wrote:Yeah a catcher usually never starts both games and he hasn't been hitting very good of late, Mirabelli on the other hand has 6 hits and 3 homers, that's a little odd. Varitek was a fluke last year in my opinion.

dude, if you're gonna go around making statements like this you should at least check the stats beforehand... FYI, varitek is hitting .400 with 3 hr, 9 rbi, and six runs in his last ten games... as far as being a fluke last season, he basically did what he has always done, except he increased his hr's and rbi... nothing out of the ordinary like javy who went from 11 hrs to 43...

besides, i think it's funny that you'd call varitek a fluke, but wouldn't see young that way... homer
osb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby Spokes » Sat May 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Well, in that guy's defense, yeah, Varitek is not a fluke, but Young is looking pretty solid as well. Look at HIS numbers this year. Wow!
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby osb » Sat May 01, 2004 7:40 pm

Spokes wrote:Well, in that guy's defense, yeah, Varitek is not a fluke, but Young is looking pretty solid as well. Look at HIS numbers this year. Wow!

i completely agree that young is looking solid, it's just that varitek has had more of a track record to compare to as opposed to young... plus, if i remember correctly, young started out this way last season, only to struggle mightily in the second half... my whole conversation with him about young centered around the argument that young would win the al batting title and go .330, 25 hr, 100 rbi...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 01, 2004 7:41 pm

His knees will fall off if he played double headers. :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager