Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves Future

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Braves Future

Postby Bravesgal » Sat May 01, 2004 11:02 pm

Braves are doing alright this year but man are they hurting pitching wise. Their pitching staff is giving up alot of runs. where do you all see the braves finishing this season? I'm not sure they'll win the division but might be able to pull off the wild card.
"The triple is the most exciting play in baseball...Home runs win a lot of games, but I never understood why fans are so obsessed with them."
- Hank Aaron
Bravesgal Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Sat May 01, 2004 11:09 pm

I am not counting Cox and Schuerholz out yet...
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Sat May 01, 2004 11:12 pm

yeah Cox is just a genius, This team very well could win the division, H Ramirez is a nice young arm for the future, I m not familiar with their minor league system but im sure they got some horses down there.

plus no chipper
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 01, 2004 11:15 pm

They're not going to win the division. They're going to be duking it out with the Mets and Expos to see who gets last place. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Sat May 01, 2004 11:16 pm

jbones733 wrote:yeah Cox is just a genius, This team very well could win the division, H Ramirez is a nice young arm for the future, I m not familiar with their minor league system but im sure they got some horses down there.

plus no chipper

LOL! I agree, he is a genius from April to September...but I pull for them anyway!
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedro » Sat May 01, 2004 11:17 pm

A few notes about the Braves.

Every year for the past 4 years I have predicting their demise, and every dang year I've been wrong. So I have learned to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Marlins are NOT that impressive since their 8-1 start, they have gone .500 since then, and the Braves have their number this year.

The Phillies are hardly impressive thus far, if they could win a series against someone other than the Expos, maybe I would be more willing to give them more respect. ( Yes, I know they beat the Cards too, I just didn't feel like including it !+) )

Mets :-t

Expos :-t :-t

The Braves #1 and #2 pitchers have been awful, but Thomson, Horacio and Wright have been good. Which suprisingly bodes well for them.

They aren't the 2003 Braves, as every expert has said, the loss of Lopez and Sheff has affected them...BUT they have been getting clutch hitting by Estrada, DeRosa and Drew. They are playing small ball, and winning games.

Like I said, I don't know where the Braves are going to finish this year, but I have learned to give JS, Cox and the Braves the benefit of the doubt, and until someone else wins it, they are the NL East champs...

My prediction -

Atlanta
Florida
Philadelphia
New York
Montreal
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Sat May 01, 2004 11:19 pm

Believe it or not, they don't have much in the farm in terms of pitching.

Wainwright was their top pitching prospect and he was dealt in the JD Drew trade to STL.

Bubba Nelson was decent, but he was traded to Cincinnati in the Reitsma acquisition.

Leaving Dan Meyer and Macay McBride, I believe. They may have others emerge...but that's like it for now.

Their future batting looks great, though. Andy Marte and Jeff Francoeur and tremendous prospects. McCann is a sleeper C prospect who's not talked about much. And if Betemit ever gets his act together, they'll really be a team to watch out for in the future.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Pedro » Sat May 01, 2004 11:23 pm

jbones733 wrote:yeah Cox is just a genius, This team very well could win the division, H Ramirez is a nice young arm for the future, I m not familiar with their minor league system but im sure they got some horses down there.

plus no chipper

They got some real players in their system.

They have one of the best prospects in baseball in Andy Marte

Some other great prospects - Jeff Francoeur, Macay McBride, Dan Meyer, Brian McCann and Anthony Lerew.

A lot of great arms in the organization, although I was suprised when Wainwright and Nelson were traded.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedro » Sat May 01, 2004 11:28 pm

Forgot about some other good arms in minors..

Cappy
Blaine Boyer
Kyle Davies

I'd seriously watch out for Jose Capellan, he has unreal velocity, he is the least refined, but when he becomes more polished he could be a star.
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bravesgal » Sat May 01, 2004 11:28 pm

Don't get me wrong guys...would love to see my braves win their division and keep that streak going but unless their pitching staff comes around it will be a whole lot tougher. Cox is a genius and one of the best managers in the MLB today. Brett Evert is a top prospect in their farm leagues. And they have others i can't remember right now but you know the Braves system is usually stacked.
"The triple is the most exciting play in baseball...Home runs win a lot of games, but I never understood why fans are so obsessed with them."
- Hank Aaron
Bravesgal Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers