Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is any1 else finding....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is any1 else finding....

Postby RynMan » Sun May 02, 2004 1:33 am

that they are accumulating alot of starters on their roster??!? in my leagues if a guy has 1 or 2 bad outings they are dropped, so i pounce on them (like randy wolf!!)! and with the emergence of guys like Oliver Perez, i find myself adding them aswell. So now its at the point where i have like 7 or 8 very nice starters. I intend to use them in some trades, but is any1 else finding in influx of pitchers so far?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neo » Sun May 02, 2004 1:37 am

Yeah i always find myself with alot of starters, i picked up lieber a while ago, and hopefully that works out well if today was any indication.On most of my teams ive got a spot where i dont have a proven starter so im constantly trying to get lucky, i got caught up in all the riley hype and that didnt work out to well. :-t
Neo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RynMan » Sun May 02, 2004 1:39 am

Neo wrote:Yeah i always find myself with alot of starters, i picked up lieber a while ago, and hopefully that works out well if today was any indication.On most of my teams ive got a spot where i dont have a proven starter so im constantly trying to get lucky, i got caught up in all the riley hype and that didnt work out to well. :-t

i do this also, its jus hard to figure out who to let go! :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 02, 2004 1:43 am

When deciding which pitchers to keep/drop, I like to look at divisions. For example, I dropped Riley, not just b/c he stunk, but b/c he is going to have to face Toronto, NYY, and Boston a lot this year. Similarly, I dropped O. Perez b/c he has to face Chicago, Cincy, and Houston a lot this year. I kept Horacio Ramirez b/c he gets to face Montreal, NYM, Marlins and Phillies...none of which are that scary. Also, anyone available from the NL West would be a good investment.

I realize you could miss out on some good pitchers using this stategy, but I find it works pretty well. I would definitely do this when you have two pitchers with similar upsides, yet can keep only one.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Neo » Sun May 02, 2004 1:43 am

lol it is hard to decide to who to let go, im always falling for the hype on guys trying to get lucky, but i usually end up with a horrible era for my efforts, yates and vogelsong didnt help my era a whole lot either lol
Neo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RynMan » Sun May 02, 2004 1:47 am

i think i may jus punt ERA n WHIP !+)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby polyphonic » Sun May 02, 2004 1:49 am

please trade your extra pitchers to my team. Ugh.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby jbones733 » Sun May 02, 2004 2:26 am

good starting pitching is hard to find, im in a league w averages, but got 8 startes, cant decide who to drop. 2 weeks ago Cl Lee & Harden were on their way out but i keep him cause of great upside, Now they are pitching great . When you see a good arm, you gotta poince on it
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby stomperrob » Sun May 02, 2004 3:24 am

Yup, I do it too. Always lookin' for that new ace for my staff.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jeffc_76 » Sun May 02, 2004 3:32 am

I'm having a REALLY tough time w/ this. I drafted Wolf, Contreras, Sabathia, and Buerhle. I picked up Lieber shortly after the draft and DL'ed him. I've since picked up Peavy and Sheets after people dropped them. So, I have 6 active SPs and a 7th on the DL that I need to make room for now that he's healthy. I've been trying to dump a couple off in a 2-for-1 deal to buy low on a more proven pitcher like Mussina, but so far no bites. I was actually kind of hoping for Buerhle to get bombed today since he was on my bench and it would make it easier to decide who to drop. Now I kind of need to keep him for at least another start (same with Contreras), so I'll probably drop a position player.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers