Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chone Figgins!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BostonBK7 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:21 am

Dang it, I want him to be eligable at SS, not 3B!!!
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:31 am

I picked up Figgins the other day....ANYWHERE he plays is fine as long as he keeps this up!
"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)

Postby GuruHamster » Tue May 04, 2004 1:12 am

BostonBK7 wrote:Dang it, I want him to be eligable at SS, not 3B!!!

Ha ha don't worry. Halter played 3B today because Glaus is still recovering from his injury (Glaus is currently DHing).

Figgins played CF today (because Anderson is out). Figgins ended the day going 1-2 with 1 run scored, no RBI's and two walks. No stolen bases though. Dang him! Har har.

Want to know something else interesting Figgins batted 3RD today. Third.. which means the Skipper has a lot of confidence in his production conciderating the kind of lineup the Angels have.

If you haven't picked him up yet do it now before it's too late (If he does solidify an every day job he'll steal 60 bases at least no problem).
Last edited by GuruHamster on Tue May 04, 2004 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuruHamster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jbones733 » Tue May 04, 2004 1:14 am

Yes everyone should have CHONE FIGGINS on the roster if they do not already
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby GuruHamster » Tue May 04, 2004 1:21 am

bleach168 wrote:lol.. guess who's playing 3B for the Angels now?

I just looked and I guess we were both right. He was playing CF at the beginning of the game but they moved him to 3rd when Halter was pinched hit for by DaVanon.
GuruHamster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tiger spit » Tue May 04, 2004 1:25 am

jbones733 wrote:Yes everyone should have CHONE FIGGINS on the roster if they do not already

well, not everyone can have him, can they...............
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GuruHamster » Tue May 04, 2004 1:45 am

Here's a little more about Chone Figgins:

He is a switch hitter. Bats from the right side and the left. Right now he's hitting .301 right and .271 left for his career. He holds a career BA is .299 along with a career .347 OBP

Which means that his .340 BA and .415 OBP (he's getting smarter at the plate) isn't too far from what he's capable of doing.

In only 47AB's this year he ALREADY has 4 triples and 2 doubles. The 4 triples are pretty amazing but don't expect him to get loads more (though some).. lots of doubles however are a pretty good bet.

Stolen bases... I did a calculation and if he continues on his current pace.. and ONLY plays in 100 more games he will steal 61 baggers (however expect his average number of steals per game to go down.. but also expect him to play in a lot more than 100 more games). I figure this will even out in the end so 60 SB's isn't out of reach (in fact if he is a regular for the rest of the season I could see him getting a lot more).

Don't ever get him to help your team in HR's! He's NEVER hit one in his major league career. That might be his one draw back.

In the end Figgins is a great bargin. He will probably qualify at 2B, SS, and CF (OF) by the season's end and adds a lot of SB's which for some teams are hard to come by. RBI totals wont be all that great but runs will. For an undrafted FA in every league he's a really good addition (even if it means just testing him out until the Angels skipper makes a final decision on what to do).
GuruHamster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby scorched03 » Tue May 04, 2004 2:09 am

i did it. couldn't resist getting figgins for injured reyes
scorched03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue May 04, 2004 2:11 am

Would you drop Nix, Konerko, Finley for him? I have Beltran for steals, and also Reyes on DL, and also Brian Roberts. Its a 12 team h2h league, so do I need the steals?
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 04, 2004 2:27 am

Below is ESPN's take on Figgins.

I had him at the end of last year (and picked him up last week) when he was having a party on the basepaths. I read reports on him at the AAA level and the Angels are projecting him to be a .270/zero power 40+ SB guy at the ML level.

He falls somewhere between Dave Roberts and Juan Pierre. So he is an interesting option. When he gets enough games at SS, then he becomes a VERY interesting option.

Why couldn't Eckstein sit out just ONE MORE game!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
2003 Season

At the start of the 2003 season, Chone Figgins was a Triple-A second baseman. By the end of it, he was the Angels' starting center fielder. The Angels recalled him four times, and after they brought him back to stay and played him every day, he hit .306. He drove in more runs than Darin Erstad, in fewer at-bats.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Few major leaguers can match Figgins' pure speed, an asset he has yet to maximize. He is potential havoc every time he gets on base, so he needs to draw more walks, hit fewer flyballs and learn the pickoff moves of opposing pitchers. Still, he makes solid contact, and any line drive past an outfielder is a potential triple. The Angels threw him into center field as an experiment, figuring he could run down most balls, and discovered his arm was better suited to center than the infield.

2004 Outlook

The Angels consider Figgins in the mold of veteran Mark McLemore, a utilityman who could start four consecutive days at four different positions. Figgins prefers to play every day at one position, but the Angels are wary of his inexperience in center. He could get a shot there if the Angels move Erstad to first base.[quote][/quote]
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers