Return to Baseball Leftovers

Countdown to Adrian Beltre's Meltdown...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun May 02, 2004 8:00 pm

Cripes! Beltre isn't even that old! Are you people trying to say that people won't change? There is at least a slight chance that Beltre can keep this up, but I agree, .300 is very very far from him right now. I do think he'll put up very very respectible numbers for fantasy purposes.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mr. Smithers » Sun May 02, 2004 8:02 pm

If Posednick a carrer under 300 hitter in the minors can hit 300 in the show. I would not say it is such a long shot for Beltre.
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.
Ted Williams
Mr. Smithers
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Spartans Rule » Sun May 02, 2004 8:10 pm

KPucks wrote:There is a big difference between Riley and Beltre. Riley just started playing in the MLB, while Beltre has 2 years to prove himself and has brought down many a fantasy team in that time.

And yet Beltre is just a couple months older than Riley. If you want to rip Beltre for struggling in the majors the past few years, you better really be on Riley's case for not even making the majors in that time.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pibb55 » Sun May 02, 2004 8:12 pm

This thread may be counting for a long time, because Beltre may not meltdown
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sun May 02, 2004 8:14 pm

i have to agree here that Beltre may not neccessarily meltdown. How many years have people been tipping this guy to be a great hitter, why couldnt that time have finally come? all he needed was plate discipline and maybe it has finally come! He has always had the power, the guy is a monster.

And i think Harold Reynolds knows what he is talking about, what he says makes alot of sense to me, especially as a player who can take all that on board.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby hybrid » Sun May 02, 2004 9:22 pm

you talk about this like it always happens, that beltre is destined to have a melt down. when his problem every year was the exact opposite. He had awful first halfs and good second halfs. and the kid is 25 now i think, it's not his fault the dodgers prolly rushed him to the majors. also even when he was hitting well i don't believe he ever had a high average in the majors for an extended amount of time. so to me this is unexplored territory that really has nothing to do w/ his past. not saying he wont revert to his low avg. self, but your basing this "meltdown" on completely nothing.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby thetongueofire » Sun May 02, 2004 9:36 pm

Lol people laghed at me when i said that Beltre had a pretty good chance of putting up better numbers than Ensberg...

i think a lot of us are still traumatized (!) by his underachiving from the past few years. of course he has the ability. his underachiveing could be related to his immaturity, i mean how many guys have put it all together at 25... dont forget that he entered the majors as a 19 year old which many people thought was too early.

anyways i havent seen all the Dodgers games but all he has done this year is try to make contact and not as much as improve plate discipline. another good sign is that his power increased a lil bit every month from May to September last year and he totally lit it up in Sept.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby Fletch » Sun May 02, 2004 10:53 pm

He's 25. Heck most good hitters don't reach their prime till they are 27 or so. Beltre starts off cold and ends up hot in most seasons. I suspect he will keep it up. I hope I find a Beltre basher in my league cause I sure will trade for him and hopefully get him cheap.
Fletch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Location: Somewhere on the bleachers watching my son play ball.

Postby planet » Tue May 04, 2004 12:42 am

i actually started this post because i'm nervous as hell that i tradded beltre away in the year that he blows up... i was looking for people to agree that he can't keep this up... but this has backfired and i'm afraid i'm going to have to commit hari kari
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby afromangettindrunk » Tue May 04, 2004 1:40 am

lol. i picked beltin beltre up off FA i believe at some point during week 1. since then he has been nicely filling my 3b and util spots with glaus. ;-D ;-D
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers