Return to Baseball Leftovers

Having a great draft a bad thing?!?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Having a great draft a bad thing?!?!

Postby davus » Mon May 03, 2004 7:17 pm

I've noticed over the years that having too good of a draft can sometimes be a bad thing. Usually I'm the guy that really does his homework and ends up really happy on the first day of the season with his roster. Usually what happens is that my "sure-fire" studs start off slow, and the managers who seemingly didn't know what the heck they were doing and drafted Charles Johnson in the 4th round are in 1st place with their scrubs who are all batting .375 with 6-10 homers by the end of April... and I'm still happy because I know that my sure-fire studs will soon catch fire and I will be leaping past them within a month and everybody will be getting smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror.

So an Esteban Loaiza comes out and starts rocking like he usually does to start a season and I smile when someone picks him up because their pitchers suck so bad...cause I'm smart enough to see through the fast start. A Javy Lopez hits a bunch of homers one week so the guy who drafted an awful team has nothing to lose by dumping Jason Larue to pick up an "obviously washed up and overacheiving Javy".

Time and time again I have felt so confident in my draft that I have declined to pick up a hot player because my sure-fire studs were more valuable to me and instead I end up with a Paul Konerko last year that I don't drop until mid-May because I keep on waiting for him to turn it around and I knew that he was going to be better than David Ortiz by the end of the season.

Year after year I see teams that have awful drafts end up getting some great players that I wouldn't touch until it is too late because they have trash that is readily discardable and my team is stacked with "talent". In my money league this year, one of the teams that I would consider to have a subpar manager and who this year had to leave early and used autodraft for the 2nd half of the draft ended up picking up Clement who has been just about the best pitcher in the damn league right now. My gut instinct is to say that Clement will return to his inconsistent form and get shelled every couple of outings to go along with his lights out ever other time...like usual. Of course he'll probably end up with the NL Cy Young when I consider what happened with Loaiza whom he picked up after a couple of week last year because his pitching staff was awful aside from Pedro...(Pedro, Ponson, Loaiza - not a bad core last year).

Anyone else have this experience? Anyone have a solution that doesn't include throwing the draft so that I have less sure-fire guys and more crappy guys that I wouldn't mind dumping after the start of the season...

HOW CAN HAVING A GOOD DRAFT BE A BAD THING!??! !+)
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Mon May 03, 2004 7:25 pm

agreed...

I go through this all the time... sometimes even when I have a bad draft I end up with the same problem once I pick up the "studs" that were left undrafted for the scrubs that I got... (autopick)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby fezzik » Mon May 03, 2004 7:25 pm

One thing you can do is draft more high risk/reward guys in the late rounds...that way if your high risk/reward picks start off slow, you can dump them for potential break out year candidates who are starting off strong...if they end up being more rewarding than risky, obviously hold on to them (or possibly trade them while they're hot). This should give your roster a little more flexibility without diminishing your talent. ;-D

However, I know exactly how you feel. You just have to make tough judgement calls on who to drop/pickup in the first month of the season.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 03, 2004 7:29 pm

Having a good draft is no where near a bad thing. The problem seems to be you need to become more flexible. There are only a few players each year that you can stick in the lineup every day and say 'good or bad this is my guy' (the sure-fire studs you mentioned). It's those second tier and lower players that are difficult as hell to let go, but winning a competitive league usually means taking a few risks and having them turn out good.

You can't win a good league with just your draft, but it can make it much easier.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby davus » Mon May 03, 2004 7:36 pm

BTW, I forot to mention, my $$$ league has a 40-move max. I usually use this up every year so I'm always very cautious about making stupid moves...
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon May 03, 2004 10:31 pm

12 team league, zero transactions, currently first place. :-)

I love it when I walk away from a draft happy. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue May 04, 2004 12:42 am

Sounds like you have a problem falling in love with the players already on your team. If you don't have even one position to drop, then your team must be stacked and would win every year. I struggle with this issue as well, it's hard to be objective about players on your team sometimes.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby jbones733 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:59 am

BigLebowski wrote:Sounds like you have a problem falling in love with the players already on your team. If you don't have even one position to drop, then your team must be stacked and would win every year. I struggle with this issue as well, it's hard to be objective about players on your team sometimes.

I have that problem, Falling in love with my team, It's my biggest flaw. meaning I hold my guys in too high of standards and don't want to let them go. Im working on it though :-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 04, 2004 1:06 am

I think almost all fantasy owners have this problem. I do this terribly with Griffey, I don't think I would trade him straight up for Pujols even. Well OK maybe for him, but you see my point.

There comes a point when sometimes we even have to even drop our favorite players...it's kinda like Ol' Yeller. :~(
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby jbones733 » Tue May 04, 2004 1:33 am

slomo007 wrote:I think almost all fantasy owners have this problem. I do this terribly with Griffey, I don't think I would trade him straight up for Pujols even. Well OK maybe for him, but you see my point.

There comes a point when sometimes we even have to even drop our favorite players...it's kinda like Ol' Yeller. :~(

LMAO great quote & great movie ;-)
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers