Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui- Overrated??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedro » Mon May 03, 2004 11:33 pm

Overrated and Underrated...if that's possible.

He was seriously overhyped last year, "Godzilla" isn't going to be the HR monster he was made out to be. I mean he hit 50 HR the year before he came to the US. So in that regard he is overrated..or was.

But he is underrated in that most people expect or expected the guy to be a huge slugger..when he isn't, so expectations for him are a lot lower. What people don't realize how clutch he is, he won't hit 30 HR, but he will hit .280, .850 OPS, 20 HR and 90 RBI, not to mention his above average plate discipline.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 03, 2004 11:40 pm

From someone who watches 98% of his games, I have a little spin on him. He is overrated as compared to the hype that he came into the league with last year. He is also underrated as to what people are saying now. He will never hit 50+ HR but he will hit close to .300 with 25+ HR and 100+ RBI. If you need better than that, then look elsewhere.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby foamposited » Mon May 03, 2004 11:45 pm

I got him off the Waiver Wire because someone cut him. I'm really happy with how he is filling in for Chipper while he has been on the DL. Not only does this guy get plenty of rbi's and run's. He is walking pretty good too since my league counts walks.
foamposited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 03, 2004 11:47 pm

He also reminds me of Trot Nixon (only) in that he is a good fantasy option but is a better real player than fantasy player. Matsui is just a good baseball player.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Madison » Tue May 04, 2004 11:04 am

Zito is God wrote:
Madison wrote:Depends on what you were expecting out of him.

.280 with 25 homers, 100 runs, 100 rbi is what I had in mind when I drafted him. ;-)

That ain't happening, lol. :-D

What's not going to happen?

.280 average---He hit .287 his rookie year, so .280 shouldn't be a problem.

100 runs---Not a really a problem in that lineup. 82 runs last year and the lineup is even better this season. Already has 19 runs in 25 games this year. Even at that pace it's over 120 runs on the year. Most likely around 100 though.

100 rbi---Not a problem in that lineup. 106 last year and again, now it's a better lineup.

25 homers---This is the only question mark. 16 his rookie year, and should get at least 20 this year. Might fall short of 25, but if he does, it won't be by much.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby frog99 » Tue May 04, 2004 11:23 am

Japaneese Player's don't hit for the same power here as they did in Japan, i see 20 home runs max this year for matusi, and i doubt he will ever hit 25 homeruns.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby Zen Boy » Tue May 04, 2004 11:26 am

I'm pleased with what he's given me so far in my HTH points league. He's been pretty consistent, which is nice in a HTH format.

I think it stands to reason that he'll improve on last year's numbers, which were quite solid, given the better lineup, the fact that he's had a year to adjust to MLB pitching, and the fact that he's still in his prime. Plus, didn't he add 15 lbs of muscle this year?
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers