Return to Baseball Leftovers

2 Fantasy Firsts???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 Fantasy Firsts???

Postby paulman8 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:53 pm

I think I may have set 2 fantasy baseball firsts over the past few days:

First, Im just wondering if Im the first person to have this idea, and if so, what do ya'll think of it? I've decided that I am going to platoon 3B. I have Vinny Castilla and Melvin Mora as my 2 3B's. The way Im doing this, not based on pitchers pitching like the real teams do, is based on the Rockies schedule. If the Rockies (and therefore Vinny) are playing at home, I'm playing Vinny. If they're on the road, I've got Mora in. I dont know how much this will help me, but I'm in a very competitive league, and any edge will help. I figure Vinny will be better at Coors than on the road, and Mora's stats should just about average, so I should gain a little.

Secondly, I made the biggest jump in the standings (rotisserie league, 5x5) that I have ever heard of once we were at least a month into the season. I jumped 9.5 points upward from 7th place, and the guy who had been in 3rd lost 7. Everyone in the middle stayed about the same, and in one day I went from being 14 points below 3rd place to holding a 2.5 point lead on it. This 16.5 point swing is the largest that I, or anyone in my league, has ever heard of this late into the season. Has anyone ever heard of any jumps larger than this?
Seeing as the Braves have won 12 division titles in a row, does that mean that soon they are going to have to start making columns as well???

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74587
paulman8
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Mon May 03, 2004 9:57 pm

I went up 9.5 points yesterday as well. I went up 4.5 points in average alone!
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -33)

Re: 2 Fantasy Firsts???

Postby EK711 » Mon May 03, 2004 9:58 pm

paulman8 wrote:First, Im just wondering if Im the first person to have this idea, and if so, what do ya'll think of it? I've decided that I am going to platoon 3B. I have Vinny Castilla and Melvin Mora as my 2 3B's. The way Im doing this, not based on pitchers pitching like the real teams do, is based on the Rockies schedule. If the Rockies (and therefore Vinny) are playing at home, I'm playing Vinny. If they're on the road, I've got Mora in. I dont know how much this will help me, but I'm in a very competitive league, and any edge will help. I figure Vinny will be better at Coors than on the road, and Mora's stats should just about average, so I should gain a little.

Been there done that with Jay Payton last year :-D . And I drafted Burnitz and Castilla just for that purpose this year. Been working great for me so far, keep doing it and never doubt Coors! ;-D
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 03, 2004 10:04 pm

I've been doing that alot lately with Johnson and Estrada. Flipped a coin during the ATL visit.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon May 03, 2004 10:32 pm

Not a bad strategy....I have used it several times in the past...gotta go with what works... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Pablo975 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:12 pm

Been doing that with Juan Gonzalez and Jeromy Burnitz......I did it last year with Payton a bit and won my league, so go for it.
"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:49 pm

I got Castilla in the last round of a couple of drafts this year so I could platoon him w/ Ensberg at 3rd with the idea of doing home and home platoon... now I am just glad I picked up Castilla and Ensberg is rotting on the FA list!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -193)

Re: 2 Fantasy Firsts???

Postby chris8 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:25 am

paulman8 wrote:Secondly, I made the biggest jump in the standings (rotisserie league, 5x5) that I have ever heard of once we were at least a month into the season. I jumped 9.5 points upward from 7th place, and the guy who had been in 3rd lost 7. Everyone in the middle stayed about the same, and in one day I went from being 14 points below 3rd place to holding a 2.5 point lead on it. This 16.5 point swing is the largest that I, or anyone in my league, has ever heard of this late into the season. Has anyone ever heard of any jumps larger than this?

I had an amazing day in my roto league yesterday!
Gained an incredible 15.5 points!! (Granted this was largely due to having K Rogers pitching a shutout -and this league counts CGs and SHOs - but still a good result).

Moved me up from 9th (of 11) to...8th. Oh well! :-b
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby BronsonPinchot » Tue May 04, 2004 9:38 am

Nothing wrong with platooning guys like that, but theres no reason to start Mora unless you think Mora overall will be better than Castilla away. Its not like the fact that Castilla has an awesome home park makes him worse when he plays away. Of course, Mora might be better than a non-Coors Castilla...I have no idea.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EK711 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:50 am

Vinny is definately much better at home (read stud) and only about average to above average on the road:

Home splits this year
4HR 20 RBI .370 AVG .452 OBP in 14 Games...

Away splits this year
3HR 7 RBI .273 AVG .342 OBP in 9 games

Career at Coors:
122HR 363 RBI .338 AVG .384 OBP in 414 Games

A full season of Coors for Vinny would based on his Career numbers would be 47 HR 142 RBI, if only he could play a full year at coors :-b .... Half that since he can only get 81 games and not 162 at home for 24 HR and 71 RBI. Let's say he is older so knock of a some of those numbers from his totals..... how about 20 HR and 65 RBI?? Not bad at all for half a season's worth of starts....

(Welcome to my world of draft prep.... I'm a sucker for a good stat and a hunch. Did I mention that I drafted both Castilla and Burnitz? Castilla in the LAST round of my draft, and Burnitz in the late teens ;-D )
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Return to Baseball Leftovers