Return to Baseball Leftovers

new idea for people with NO STARTING ROTATION!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

new idea for people with NO STARTING ROTATION!

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 1:06 am

my rotation flat out sucks in my opinon, so why not pick up a bunch for middle relievers to join my good closers already and forget about the win stats. It will bring up my K's, down my era and will get ton of saves and some wins. also i can trade my sp's to improve my hitters??? im i retarted or is this possible....

Hitters::
C J. López
1B T. Helton
2B J. Vidro
3B M. Cabrera
SS R. Furcal
OF L. Berkman
OF P. Burrell
OF A. Jones
Util BN B. Giles
BN D. Roberts
BN J Uribe
DL J. MauerDL
DL N. GarciaparraDL

Pitchers:

SP W. Williams
SP T. Wakefield
SP E. Milton
RP T. Percival
RP A. Benítez
P J. Valverde
P D. Graves
P E. Loaiza
BN J. Lieber
BN M. Buehrle
BN R. Biddle

Stats -R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat May 08, 2004 1:22 am

your biggest risk and something you have to look for is 99% of leagues have a minimum innings pitched requirement to stop just that strategy. Usually it is 900 innings. If you fail to meet that requirement you get 0 points in the ERA and WHIP categories(for all intents and purposes you are DQ'd of getting points in those categories)....

just somehing you should double check on

Hope it helps,,,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 1:24 am

thanks, i looked i think there is only a max, which i think id would reach anyway with my innings thus far plus middle relievers, any more thoughts??
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Sat May 08, 2004 1:25 am

Another thing to take a look at is if there are enough worthwhile middle relievers who can qualify in the starting pitching role. Having 8 relievers doesn't change anything unless you can get a couple of them into the starters spot.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 1:31 am

good call, i know that graves can, and im checking for two other worthwhile guys..... R. Lopez can, S Shields can, Reitsma can, so it looks like that wouldnt be a problem but good thinking i would never have thought of that..
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 1:53 am

please i gotta know if i should do this
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nmarq8 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:11 am

depending on your type of league, from what i just read about your situation your strategy looks pretty damn good under the circumstances. your IP will be way down, but since that's not a scoring category who cares, and wins will definitely suffer, and k's might also. and if a closer blows a game and gives up a run or even two in his one inning of work your era will hurt. you might want to condense the two or three pretty good pitchers that you have into a solid high k, usually low era guy via trade. things don't look so bad for you.

also, look at wilson alvarez (sp, rp), he had an awesome start today vs. pittsburgh and has been strong all season for the pitching-minded dodgers.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Rajin » Sat May 08, 2004 2:15 am

The rockies closer Chacon is eligible at SP in Yahoo leagues too.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Sat May 08, 2004 2:15 am

Milton is pitching well, Lieber should be okay, Buehrle (though I am not high on him at all) is serviceable, Wakefield will get his 10-12 wins, Loaiza is off last year's form but still has four wins and every shot to win 15-16. Woody is still not 100%, can only get better.

Not a great rotation by any means, but to fire these starters in favor of middle relievers is absurd. First of all, it's just early May. Way too early to push the panic button...the biggest weakness of way too many overreactive managers.

Strategy might be to shop Loaiza, as he's the most attractive of your starters. Guy to consider adding is Madsen, who looks like a keeper and who will soon be starting for the Phillies. But the main thing is not to kneejerk all those starters to the WW for middle relievers.

If these so-called harmless middle relievers really that good, they'd be starting pitchers instead. They're not for good reason for the most part.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby trac02 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:57 am

The middle reliever strategy is otherwise known as LIMA, or Low Investment Mound Aces, which I think was created by Ron Shandler. Anyway, it is more of a draft strategy, when you draft a kickass offensive team and one pitching ace. You don't worry about rotation depth and load up on big K/IP and low ERA and WHIP middle relievers and closers like Lidge K-Rod and Dotel.

As it is a draft strategy and not a mid-season strategy, it would be cool if you could keep us updated on how this strategy has worked out for you throughout the year if you decide to go for it.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers