Return to Baseball Leftovers

new idea for people with NO STARTING ROTATION!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 8:03 am

yea i would, what i was thinking though was to trade loaiza for some offensive help at 3rd maybe at 2nd too and then trade my other sp for krod, maybe deal a guy two closers for wagner and just pickup the best relievers guys in mind:

wagner - trade
k rod - trade
quantrill
r lopez
s kim - montreal

any thoughts?
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zEli173 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:37 am

This isn't exactly LIMA. LIMA, as far as I know, assumes that you will use at least most of your innings. It just advocates not investing draft resources in pitching as it is much less predictable than hitting and because pitching always becomes available. But LIMA is desgined for a league that does have minimum innings.

I have essentially used a modified LIMA in one of my leagues. I grabbed Kevin Brown cheap and everything else was $1 or waiver wire. I've managed to put together a good staff: Brown, Penny, Sheets, Jerome Williams, Wilson Alvarez. I've also got Burnett and Armas stashed on the DL. It's certainly goood enough to keep me competetive in pitching.

What Hazesj wants to do is take advantage of a flaw in his leagues rules. He should do it, it should work. Once the rules are set, they are set. If he doesn't do it, someone else might. And if I'm reading this correctly, there are more hitting cats than pitching, making this strategy even more optimal.

You're pretty well set up, because all your strength is already in hitting. Trade Loaiza for sure. Get whatever hitting value you can for him because you need to dominate the offensive cats.

Rodrigo Lopez is an ideal pitcher for this approach.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 10:48 am

yea thats another good point, more hitting cats.. i think im gunna go for it but it makes me a little nervous lol i wanna get one or two more opinons u know.

anyone think this will fail?? will era go down? i think im most worried that i will forfeit my K's also... figure 80-90 K's from relievers through out the year so thats times 8 which is about 700 K's...

Can that win or compete in a league with ten people roto points? i have 154 now...
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KULCAT » Sat May 08, 2004 11:42 am

Hazesj wrote:good call, i know that graves can, and im checking for two other worthwhile guys..... R. Lopez can, S Shields can, Reitsma can, so it looks like that wouldnt be a problem but good thinking i would never have thought of that..

Riedling, Gregg, Dreifort, Reisma. Those are the best out there i think
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Hazesj » Sat May 08, 2004 4:42 pm

bump
Hazesj
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Sat May 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Hazesj wrote:bump

No, he doesn't count as an SP :-D

I tried something like this in my H2H league, but in addition to all my SP's (I have Pedro, Santana, Clement, Schmidt, Suppan, Odalis, Washburn, and Escobar) I have 8 RP's. Of course, 2 of those are SP eligible: Danny Graves and Scot Shields. We count holds as well as saves, so that strategy seems to be working - however my guys aren't performing as well as I hoped so I'm in 9th place somehow. Now that Schmidt is back to his old self, and once Pedro and Santana dominate like they should, and if Clement keeps this up, I should make the playoffs which is all I need.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Coach McGuirk » Mon May 10, 2004 10:58 am

wondering if this is something i should try in a 10 team 5x5 roto league. Min innings is only 900, so I shouldn't have an issue. My ERA and WHIP are killing me. Any thoughts on me dropping/trading SP's and picking up some of the top RP? We don't count holds, so ALL of the good mid relievers are available.

Garcia, Freddy An. SP SEA
Graves, Danny RP CIN
Halladay, Roy SP TOR
Kim, Byung-Hyun RP BOS
Loaiza, Esteban SP CHW
Milton, Eric SP PHI
Perez, Oliver SP PIT
Wagner, Billy RP PHI
Wells, Kip SP PIT
Cordero, Francisco RP TEX
"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes."
Coach McGuirk
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers