Return to Baseball Leftovers

What If...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What If...

Postby Big Sexy » Sat May 08, 2004 10:38 pm

What if your team moved to a different city, were the victim of contraction, or simply ran their plane into the side of a mountain? What team would you or could you see yourself root for other than your favorite team now?
I am a huge Cubs fan. Have been since I was a little guy. If something ever happened to my beloved, I could almost see myself being a fan of the Red Sox. I used to root for them as a youngster and still remember Bucky Dent's shot over the Monster. Their fans suffer similarly to Cub fans and I would like nothing more than to see the two teams meet in the Series.
"Live well, this is not a rehersal"
Big Sexy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Sat May 08, 2004 10:41 pm

Ive thought of the same thing before. I am also a huge Cub fan and if anything happened to them I would still be a Cub fan because its not like they would just get rid of the franchise. Now if they were contracted, I would be a Red Sox fan because of your same reasons. If they moved I would still be a Cub fan, it would just be a little weird.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -50)

Postby Big Sexy » Sat May 08, 2004 10:46 pm

I know it won't happen and thank God for that. I'm just having a little fun with this. I've always liked the Red Sox. The Dodgers too for some reason. Teams I've never liked are Yankees, Cowboys, Notre Dame and of course, the White Sox.
"Live well, this is not a rehersal"
Big Sexy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat May 08, 2004 10:47 pm

If the Dodgers disappeared off the face of the Earth? I'd probably become a Pirates fan.

Yeah...I'm a sucker for mediocrity.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby sinicalypse » Sat May 08, 2004 10:51 pm

well i'm in that position right now because i'm an expos fan.

i can thank vladimir guerrero for this status, but despite the fact that they're arguably the worst team in baseball, i still wear my 1983 expos cap like it's in fashion. even tho lost they two best players for little tonothing, and well, there isnt much hope in the pipeline.

it'd be easy to jump ship, but like, i dont live and die expos right now. i still wear all my expos stuff (fortunately all the jerseys save one have "GUERRERO 27" on them) but i mean, out of pure integrity, i cant give up on the team who i was definitely behind from 2001 (when i got into baseball) til the end of vlad's run just because that would make me a piece of crap.

i'm a baseball fan, and well, i like watching baseball... i'll always keep a keen eye on the expos/whatevers... but fortunately for me, chicago baseball has been quite entertaining this year and i've enjoyed it far more than i have in any other season that i've kept up with to date.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby KPucks » Sat May 08, 2004 10:52 pm

If the Sox went away, I would probably root for the Braves. I always liked them and their pretty close to where I live. But I know that I would still root against the Yankees.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -33)

Postby EK711 » Sat May 08, 2004 11:51 pm

Speaking from experience from when the Browns left. (Yeah I know it's football, but still applicable). I just didn't pay attention anymore. I felt too betrayed and disgusted to be able to watch any other games. I know many of my other friends felt the same way about it too. I'd probably feel the same way if it happened to my Indians as well.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun May 09, 2004 12:30 am

hmmm thats intresting,,,,,because I would root for the Cubbies. Actually i already KNOW the answer from experience.....if the Bosox ever dissappeared i would still root for the bosox......after all they dissappear every year sometime around August lol.....

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby matmat » Sun May 09, 2004 12:34 am

if the yankees ever disappeared... oh ... wait... then steinbrenner would buy the redsox, move them to new york and rename them 'the yankees'
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby thetruth » Sun May 09, 2004 12:38 am

matmat wrote:if the yankees ever disappeared... oh ... wait... then steinbrenner would buy the redsox, move them to new york and rename them 'the yankees'

id probably jump off the tobin bridge if that happened.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers