Return to Baseball Leftovers

African-American Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 09, 2004 3:31 pm

Its true, there aren't as many great african american players in baseball today, but hey, thats sports. In hockey there are barely any black players (I believe there are only 5 or 6 in the NHL). In football, there isn't a single starting white running back, there are also barely any good white recievers.

I can probobly name a lot of people I think are african american that are great baseball players, but then they will end up bieng either hispanic or latin or from the dominican republic and I'll get flamed. :-D
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rich101682 » Sun May 09, 2004 3:34 pm

LBJackal wrote:Should we call all white people European-Americans?

Hell no! Have you been to Europe lately? A lot of it smells funny!
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby DK » Sun May 09, 2004 3:34 pm

Zito is God wrote:Its true, there aren't as many great african american players in baseball today, but hey, thats sports. In hockey there are barely any black players (I believe there are only 5 or 6 in the NHL). In football, there isn't a single starting white running back, there are also barely any good white recievers.

I think there are 11 NHL players that are African-American. So I flame you! }:-)

Now that Ed McCaffrey is gone, there is a very small amount of white WR.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 09, 2004 3:37 pm

DK wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Its true, there aren't as many great african american players in baseball today, but hey, thats sports. In hockey there are barely any black players (I believe there are only 5 or 6 in the NHL). In football, there isn't a single starting white running back, there are also barely any good white recievers.

I think there are 11 NHL players that are African-American. So I flame you! }:-)

Now that Ed McCaffrey is gone, there is a very small amount of white WR.

There aren't many stars though.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Pedantic » Sun May 09, 2004 3:38 pm

LBJackal wrote:And I've mentoned this before, but why are black americans called African-Americans? Most black people I know aren't from Africa, they're families came from the Caribbean. Should we call all white people European-Americans?

I thought they were imported as slaves to the Caribbean. (Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but the past is the past.)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby LBJackal » Sun May 09, 2004 3:40 pm

I always thought James Thrash was black, before I saw him. Than after I watched him play, I thought he was white. Then I saw him on some TV show wiht all his cars, and realized he is actually black. :-S

I guess Mike Alstott could count as a running back, maybe. And quarterbacks are mostly white, except the younger ones joining the game are more often black, like Vick and Leftwich.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby LBJackal » Sun May 09, 2004 3:45 pm

Pedantic wrote:
LBJackal wrote:And I've mentoned this before, but why are black americans called African-Americans? Most black people I know aren't from Africa, they're families came from the Caribbean. Should we call all white people European-Americans?

I thought they were imported as slaves to the Caribbean. (Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but the past is the past.)

Yes, the black people in the western hemispehere came from Africa. But all of the white people in the western hemispere came from Europe (they brought the blacks along with them, and therefore have both occupied North America for the sam amount of time). Which is why I said why do we call blacks African-Americans but we don't call whites European-Americans.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Pedantic » Sun May 09, 2004 3:49 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

Yes, the black people in the western hemispehere came from Africa. But all of the white people in the western hemispere came from Europe (they brought the blacks along with them, and therefore have both occupied North America for the sam amount of time). Which is why I said why do we call blacks African-Americans but we don't call whites European-Americans.

I guess 'cause white folk are privileged enough as it is. ;-7
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby DK » Sun May 09, 2004 3:57 pm

Damn white people.... :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby matmat » Sun May 09, 2004 4:18 pm

DK wrote:Off topic real quick, isn't Juan Pierre such a confusing name? I mean, it starts off "Juan", which makes you think "Oh, he's hispanic". Then it goes off to "Pierre", which makes you think "Wait, he's French?" Then you go to his profile and see that he's African-American. "WHAT?"

I am going to butcher the name... Juan Pierre is named after juan marischal, his father's favorite player... I can only guess that his last name originates from all the french that lived in the south (the french quarter in NO etc. etc.)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers