Return to Baseball Leftovers

African-American Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fastanfurious725 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:37 pm

youn know the cream of the crop is bad for white WR's when the best one is Tim Dwight...
fastanfurious725
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby EK711 » Sun May 09, 2004 5:35 pm

matmat wrote:
DK wrote:Off topic real quick, isn't Juan Pierre such a confusing name? I mean, it starts off "Juan", which makes you think "Oh, he's hispanic". Then it goes off to "Pierre", which makes you think "Wait, he's French?" Then you go to his profile and see that he's African-American. "WHAT?"

I am going to butcher the name... Juan Pierre is named after juan marischal, his father's favorite player... I can only guess that his last name originates from all the french that lived in the south (the french quarter in NO etc. etc.)

Has anyone else ever heard Juan Pierre talk? He's got a really noticable southern accent. It surprised me when I heard him, because with his name I would have expected a sort of Cajun type New Orleans style accent (i.e. one that's slightly less pronounced), or I thought he could have been hispanic as well. When you hear him talk though you can tell he was born and raised in the good ol USA. ;-D

Here's an article about his background including the name and family history ;-) .

EDIT: That link was a little screwy, but I think it's working now. It's a good read so take a look.
Last edited by EK711 on Sun May 09, 2004 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Never Iffey » Sun May 09, 2004 5:44 pm

kaz wrote:Come on.

Garrett Anderson
Bonds
Junior
Vernon Wells
Preston Wilson
Derrick Lee

I was also thinking this and found that 3 of the top 4 HR hitters of all time are African-American in Mays, Bonds and Aaron

And Mike Young is my favorite too, :-D ;-D

I think my point was pretty much made. I said Bonds, Junior, Young. Vernon Wells was awesome last year, but that's one year. Preston Wilson is Mr. Glass from "Unbreakable", Derrek Lee is pretty borderline, Garrett Anderson is pushin' it too even though I think he's been an All-Star, might as well say Doug Glanville while we're at it. I love Juan Pierre, I didn't know if he counted though... like I said, just an observation.

I saw a piece on Outside the Lines Nightly and they interviewed up and coming black h.s. athletes/why baseball doesn't have any black players. Their main response to why they didn't play baseball was that it was "too boring" for them. Hence, basketball and football being the top 2 choices.

I've also heard that the Angels purposely sign hispanic players to market themselves better to that population in Anaheim (Vlad, K-Rod, Colon, Escobar, Guillen, etc.). And on a side, is it true that a lot of the L.A. baseball fans are Angels fans? Saw a piece about that on TV? Anybody out there know...
if it's Griffey...
Never Iffey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Sun May 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Another problem for baseball is that it does not offer the instant money that a sport like basketball does. Many, by no means all, of these youths are in need of money and see what people like LeBron are making straight out of high school. Compare that to the years, in most cases, that it takes baseball players to go through the minors to get to MLB, where then, they can finally make the big-bucks.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby matmat » Sun May 09, 2004 6:02 pm

Never Iffey wrote:I've also heard that the Angels purposely sign hispanic players to market themselves better to that population in Anaheim (Vlad, K-Rod, Colon, Escobar, Guillen, etc.). And on a side, is it true that a lot of the L.A. baseball fans are Angels fans? Saw a piece about that on TV? Anybody out there know...

I am sooooo going to get flamed for this.

I've now lived in SoCal for about 5 years. LA people are fair weather fans. Sure there are devoted fans to both the dodgers and the angels, but most of the angels fans seem to be rooting for the halos pretty much since about midseason of 2002... People here have trouble rooting for losing franchises so I am surprised that the clippers either havn't moved or gone under... I don't even believe that the lakers were rooted for too deeply before they won the title a few years back... This is also why LA can't keep a football franchise -- it takes too long for it to become good and fan support dwindles...

as far as black (african american) athletes are concerned in MLB I think that there is, in general, a very skewed racial ratio in the majors... the fraction of lation/hispanic players is much higher in baseball than in the population. I don't have the statistics, but maybe someone else does... what are the ratios for all the major races in both the MLB and the US population?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby contrastiktion » Sun May 09, 2004 6:19 pm

naw you're on point dude... i was gonna say the exact same thing, except i've lived here my whole life... we are, for the most part, fair weather fans in SOCAL... it could be a result of having 4 teams in the state for almost every sport
contrastiktion
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun May 09, 2004 6:35 pm

There are only so many African Americans- like 10% of the American population and dwindling. How is it a surprise that their #s in the majors is down.

Especially with the influx of talent around the world. If only American born players were eligible for MLB, then the % of African-Americans would be much higher- but it's not.

The REAL question is- why are there so few Asian-American players in MLB. 5% of the population and who do they have? Benny Agbayani? Mike Nakamura's from Australia so he doesn't count. Will those Azn kids stop dominating the gridiron and hardwood and get to the diamond already?!?
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sun May 09, 2004 9:19 pm

how come nobody mentioned gary sheffield?
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby frog99 » Sun May 09, 2004 10:27 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
LBJackal wrote:And I've mentoned this before, but why are black americans called African-Americans? Most black people I know aren't from Africa, they're families came from the Caribbean. Should we call all white people European-Americans?

I thought they were imported as slaves to the Caribbean. (Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but the past is the past.)

Yes, the black people in the western hemispehere came from Africa. But all of the white people in the western hemispere came from Europe (they brought the blacks along with them, and therefore have both occupied North America for the sam amount of time). Which is why I said why do we call blacks African-Americans but we don't call whites European-Americans.

whites are caucasian which means a person of European descent.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby frog99 » Sun May 09, 2004 10:30 pm

And there are many Africa-American baseball players, considering that blacks are oinly 10% of the population. what there aren't enough of, are black Managers and General-Managers.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers