Return to Baseball Leftovers

African-American Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Sun May 09, 2004 11:03 pm

frog99 wrote:And there are many Africa-American baseball players, considering that blacks are oinly 10% of the population. what there aren't enough of, are black Managers and General-Managers.

i'll get the spelling wrong but:

lloyd mclendon
dusty baker
frank robinson

that's 3/30 = 1/10th
( i might even be leaving someone out, but I doubt it.)

you are probably right about general managers though.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yikes » Sun May 09, 2004 11:27 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:The REAL question is- why are there so few Asian-American players in MLB. 5% of the population and who do they have? Benny Agbayani? Mike Nakamura's from Australia so he doesn't count. Will those Azn kids stop dominating the gridiron and hardwood and get to the diamond already?!?

No thanks Iconoclastic, Asian Americans will just dominate the classrooms when they're young and be your boss in the working world after they graduate

it's a much safer route than toiling in the minors
B-)
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Mon May 10, 2004 12:32 am

OK. I know Im going to be called a racist but hey, thats America.

-I dont think that black people should be given a formal name while white people are just white. Im getting so tired of this "african american" stuff while we(whites) are just "white".If they get to be called african american(even though most of them arent directly from Africa)we should be called european americans.

-I also agree that LA "fans" are fair weathered. Living in LA I witness it a lot. Players get booed for doing poorly(ie striking out) but when they hit a home run they cheer like thier life has changed.

-I too noticed the Juan Pierre thing myself.
Last edited by Los Angeles Cubs on Mon May 10, 2004 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -50)

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 10, 2004 1:11 am

"I think that blacks should be called black because white people are called white"

is that the foundation of your hypothesis?

heh...

what an intellectual crowd this forum consists of.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby hybrid » Mon May 10, 2004 1:48 am

Iconoclastic wrote:There are only so many African Americans- like 10% of the American population and dwindling. How is it a surprise that their #s in the majors is down.

Especially with the influx of talent around the world. If only American born players were eligible for MLB, then the % of African-Americans would be much higher- but it's not.

The REAL question is- why are there so few Asian-American players in MLB. 5% of the population and who do they have? Benny Agbayani? Mike Nakamura's from Australia so he doesn't count. Will those Azn kids stop dominating the gridiron and hardwood and get to the diamond already?!?

huh? what? the african american population is dwindling??? I don't know where you are or where you get your mis-information from.

also was there even a good point to talking about blacks in baseball? so there isn't as many blacks in baseball as whites...whoppee. there are more whites in hockey...more blacks in basketball. maybe if we could actually narrow this down to one statement or question the thread would go somewhere.

never iffey- you asked for pretty much black all stars, then you limit it down to black all stars that aren't injury proned? wilson has had some all star years, so i don't see why because he is somewhat injury prone you should leave him off. Lee has had some really good years, not sure if he was an all star though. Garrett has been an all star to but you call him borderline? his stats back up that he is an all star. also do you technically mean "african americans" or just black people in general? maybe i'm just confused about what the purpose of this thread is......just to count the number of blacks?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 10, 2004 1:54 am

godallahstar wrote:"I think that blacks should be called black because white people are called white"

is that the foundation of your hypothesis?

heh...

what an intellectual crowd this forum consists of.

What was false about that statement? It's actually a good argument. Geez, bring up race, and no matter what is said the people actually discussing it are looked down upon.

Black people originated in Africa, white people originated in Europe. White people are called white. Black people are called African-American. Why? To me it's more derogatory to blacks. Somebody brought up the "caucasian" thing, which is untrue, because caucasian is the definition of a person's physical traits, no matter where they're from. It does not mean "from Europe" as somebody said. Even so, I don't believe the term isn't considered politically correct anymore. I always have and always will call black people black, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me what other people deem politically correct.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby EK711 » Mon May 10, 2004 1:58 am

LBJackal wrote:Even so, I don't believe the term isn't considered politically correct anymore. I always have and always will call black people black, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me what other people deem politically correct.

Agreed. I'd feel weird calling the black people I know African-American. They'd probably look at me like I was on crack if I did. I'd even say black is more politically correct now.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 10, 2004 1:59 am

morons.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

RE:

Postby Norsemen » Mon May 10, 2004 2:01 am

And there are many Africa-American baseball players, considering that blacks are oinly 10% of the population. what there aren't enough of, are black Managers and General-Managers.
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 10, 2004 2:02 am

godallahstar wrote:morons.

And who was the person complaining about the lack of an "intellectual crowd" here at the cafe? Riiiiight...........that's some argument you've got there :-o

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers