Return to Baseball Leftovers

African-American Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 10, 2004 2:18 am

see, me referring to someone as a "moron" isn't that far from another person referring to an individual as "black"

calling any random person with melanin "black" is unjust,
the same as referring to an overweight person as "fat" would be.

neither the term "black" nor the term "white" defines ones race or ancestry.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 10, 2004 2:25 am

godallahstar wrote:see, me referring to someone as a "moron" isn't that far from another person referring to an individual as "black"

Well look who decided to actually put thought into a post.

You're right that calling a person with black skin "black" doesn't define their ancestry. But I don't intend on referring to everybody by the place that their ancestors came from. I don't think anybody can trace their family tree back that far anyway.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby EK711 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:27 am

godallahstar wrote:see, me referring to someone as a "moron" isn't that far from another person referring to an individual as "black"

I don't agree, but I see the point.

All I know is from my experience in life is that I'm a mix of a lot of European ancestory and would much rather be called white then caucasian, or German/Slovenian/Irish/Italian/etc. I'm not even sure on what else I got in me apart from those.

Maybe I'm overtly insensitive on the issues, but I am white, and I'm fine with being called as such. I guess it maybe could just depend on how high of a value one places on their own cultural heritage.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 10, 2004 2:34 am

LBJackal wrote:

You're right that calling a person with black skin "black" doesn't define their ancestry. But I don't intend on referring to everybody by the place that their ancestors came from. I don't think anybody can trace their family tree back that far anyway.

okay, but if someone as an individual, doesn't want to be referred to as a color - respect that.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Mon May 10, 2004 2:34 am

I don't agree, but I see the point.

All I know is from my experience in life is that I'm a mix of a lot of European ancestory and would much rather be called white then caucasian, or German/Slovenian/Irish/Italian/etc. I'm not even sure on what else I got in me apart from those.

Maybe I'm overtly insensitive on the issues, but I am white, and I'm fine with being called as such. I guess it maybe could just depend on how high of a value one places on their own cultural heritage.

I think I am on the same level as you are about be insensitive. But I am aways reffered to and others also as white. While most people always feel as though they have to call someone black if they are indeed black.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -50)

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 10, 2004 2:38 am

godallahstar wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

okay, but if someone as an individual, doesn't want to be referred to as a color - respect that.

OK, I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to be referred to as a colour. I can also see why a person would not want to be referred to as African-American. But that doesn't mean referring to somebody as a colour is wrong. It's just a physical trait. So is being short. Just because a short person doesn't want to be called short doesn't make it right or wrong to group them. You can't please everybody.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 10, 2004 3:45 am

short people haven't been opressed and subjugated.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 10, 2004 3:54 am

Well maybe it was a bad example, but my point was that no single term can be deemed appropriate. That's why I said you can't please everybody. I don't even think classifying peple as a colour has much of a purpose anyway. I was originally asking why black people were referred to as African-Americans, but then you called me a moron and everything got blown out of proportion.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:03 am

this thread is getting a tad out of hand... what about the grey people? the yellow people? the red people? the purple people and their eater? COME ON! O:-)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Mighty Monks » Mon May 10, 2004 5:56 am

this has gotten out of hand, but given the topic, I am actually surprised with some of the posters on here lately that it has not gotten much worse. The fact is that you are not going to please everyone, and I think nick picking on words that we use is a little dumb. The fact is as long as we treat everyone the same and not like they used to, color people blacks and whites really isnt a big deal. Some people call themselves nigers and dont mean anything by it but when someone else calls them the same thing itis racist. I think the important thing is just respecting everyone and treating everyone fairly and eventually over time, none of these words will be really important
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers