Return to Baseball Leftovers

African-American Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KULCAT » Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 am

Why do people from the US get so upthight abut race?. In Panama we dont have this kind of problems. In panama if there was a row of 10 guys 9 white and 1 black and none of them you know right? we wouldnt have any trouble pointing at the guy as the black guy cause is just common sense. This is an analogy for the racial situation in Panama. People dont take everything so personal and still give each other the benefit of the doubt as we have an even more scrambled population than in the US with white people being the majority so people get called the chinese guy, the black guy, the jewish guy unless the other people youre talking too know him too and then you would call him for his name. When i played ball in Venezuela most players where either black or of a darker toned skin. The two americans that played there were refered as gringos(wich is an idiosincratic word that latinamericans use to refer to americans and is not used in an insulting way like some people think) and i was refered as the "blanquito" or whitey(after a couple of week i was simply know by my lastname)Do this in the US and youd have the NAACP and Reverend Jackson on your ass. Seriously, this shouldnt be a big deal
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon May 10, 2004 1:25 pm

LBJackal wrote:Well maybe it was a bad example, but my point was that no single term can be deemed appropriate. That's why I said you can't please everybody. I don't even think classifying peple as a colour has much of a purpose anyway. I was originally asking why black people were referred to as African-Americans, but then you called me a moron and everything got blown out of proportion.

I agree with you ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby blankman » Mon May 10, 2004 1:27 pm

KULCAT wrote:Why do people from the US get so upthight abut race?. In Panama we dont have this kind of problems. In panama if there was a row of 10 guys 9 white and 1 black and none of them you know right? we wouldnt have any trouble pointing at the guy as the black guy cause is just common sense. This is an analogy for the racial situation in Panama. People dont take everything so personal and still give each other the benefit of the doubt as we have an even more scrambled population than in the US with white people being the majority so people get called the chinese guy, the black guy, the jewish guy unless the other people youre talking too know him too and then you would call him for his name. When i played ball in Venezuela most players where either black or of a darker toned skin. The two americans that played there were refered as gringos(wich is an idiosincratic word that latinamericans use to refer to americans and is not used in an insulting way like some people think) and i was refered as the "blanquito" or whitey(after a couple of week i was simply know by my lastname)Do this in the US and youd have the NAACP and Reverend Jackson on your ass. Seriously, this shouldnt be a big deal

Interesting to know.

It does annoy me that people in America (I myself live in America) are so uptight about race and being politically correct by using the "correct" term to simply point out a person. That man over there isn't the short one, he's the vertically challenged one." or "He's not the retarded kid, he's special" :-D Give me a break.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon May 10, 2004 1:49 pm

While I agree that the whole politically correct movement got silly (mainly this all happened in the mid-90's, though, remember), I do understand why some people would prefer not to be called "black." Look at the connotations that "black" has in our society. It's the color of evil and death. Of course you aren't offended by the name "white." White has always been the color of angels and weddings and goodness.

Err on the side of caution. Some people don't want to be called "black." Fine. It's no skin off my back to call them "African-American." It doesn't affect me one iota. Some gay people want to be called "queer." Okay by me. You tell me what you want to be called and I'll call you that. No problem.

Also, I think that the reason that the number of African-American's in the big leagues has fallen in recent years has to do with their (general) economic status. Understand that while I say this, I realize that I'm generalizing. But you're more likely to find African-Americans in the inner city and white people in the suburbs. There is more room in the suburbs to build baseball diamonds and more money to pay for their upkeep. You can put up a hoop anywhere and play basketball. Obviously, there are other reasons as well, but I do think that geography plays a role here.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby bonecrusher17 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:02 pm

It was so much easier when we were all from Pangaea.
Put the lotion in the basket.
bonecrusher17
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Mon May 10, 2004 2:05 pm

godallahstar wrote:short people haven't been opressed and subjugated.

Don't tell that to Eddie Gaedel.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers