Return to Baseball Leftovers

How serious is Marcus Giles' injury?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How serious is Marcus Giles' injury?

Postby coolarmadillo » Sun May 09, 2004 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any idea how serious this injury is supposed to be?

An owner in my league is offering him for a closer. I can't really spare a closer right now, so I'm trying to get him to take a starter or two or Adam Kennedy and a starter. Am I going to be SOL for a while if I give up my only healthy 2B for Giles?
coolarmadillo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 09, 2004 12:57 pm

I don't think so. They were thinking he might be back today, but he's not. In any case, i think it's fairly safe to assume that he will be back on Tuesday as the Braves have tomorrow off. He appeared as a pinch runner yesterday.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 10, 2004 3:23 pm

they said that his entire arm swelled up and that was unusual. there was even talk of him going on the DL if he did not make any dramatic improvements, but he did on Sunday.

i just traded belliard for him....so i am not happy.....but i have uribe as a backup.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby rlee » Mon May 10, 2004 4:57 pm

Don Sutton, the Braves announcer on TBS said yeaterday that they expect both he and Furcal back tomorrow. How accurate is that? I'm not sure :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 10, 2004 5:03 pm

Rotoworld says tomorrow (Tuesday), but Yahoo says either Tuesday or Wednesday. I think the rotoworld report is more recent though. I expect him in there tomorrow.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 10, 2004 5:08 pm

he is day to day...tuesday or wednesday....but nobody knows for sure....

Rafael Furcal (finger) and Marcus Giles (elbow) are expected to return to the lineup either Tuesday or Wednesday at St. Louis, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Both players seem like safe Fantasy starts, but Giles is the better bet between the two based on his talent and the lack of depth at second base.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/fantasy/story/7318408

Marcus Giles, 2B ATL

News: Marcus Giles (elbow) was unable to start in any of the weekend games against Houston.

Analysis: Giles was used as a pinch runner in Saturday's game, but he remains day to day. He might return on Tuesday at St. Louis.

Furcal, Giles expected back soon

The Braves' ailing middle infield must have found some inspiration in the return of J.D. Drew and Chipper Jones this weekend. Manager Bobby Cox said he expects shortstop Rafael Furcal and Marcus Giles back in the lineup later this week during Atlanta's series in St. Louis.

"They came around like miracles" on Saturday, Cox said.

Furcal hasn't been in the starting lineup in more than a week because of a jammed ring finger on his throwing hand. He did pinch-hit in both Friday and Saturday's games.

Giles, meanwhile, was painlessly flexing his elbow in the clubhouse prior to Sunday's game. He took a David Wells' pitch off the elbow last Wednesday in a game against the San Diego Padres.

"We're getting there," Giles said.

Furcal might be too. He grabbed a baseball out of his locker prior to Sunday's game and gripped it firmly, something he couldn't do most of last week. He still has trouble throwing the ball, however, which kept him out of the field in the weekend series against Houston.

"As soon as it feels good, I'll be in there," Furcal said.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/0510 ... otes.shtml
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers