Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guillen of Anaheim being carted off field

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:20 pm

That would be the biggest Miracle ever!
But, I am not counting on it. I am already looking for a replacement. As soon as He is listed on the DL I will add another player. Luckily I have 1 DL spot free. The other one is occupied with Reyes.
2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:22 pm

Green Monstah wrote:
reiser wrote:Guillen is en fuego right now-his last 7 days looks like .480, 7 HR 20 RBI.

wow, I knew he was doing good this week, but those numbers are amazing 8-o

Not true. He only has 6HR for the season. Where did you get those numbers
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun May 09, 2004 9:31 pm

Last 7 games, heading into today's game:

Guillen .480 3 HR 12 RBI
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby reiser » Sun May 09, 2004 11:20 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:Last 7 games, heading into today's game:
Guillen .480 3 HR 12 RBI

thank you, i pulled the numbers out of my butt.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Sun May 09, 2004 11:58 pm

From Fanball

May 10 For the second straight day, the Angels lost a key element of their starting lineup for what is certain to be an extended amount of time. Left fielder Jose Guillen, who is hitting .328 with four homers in his last six games, sprained his left knee and left ankle sliding into second base and had to be carted off the field. According to the Associated Press, he will almost certainly join Garret Anderson (back), Tim Salmon (knee), and Darin Erstad (hamstring) on the injured list. Erstad suffered his injury yesterday while attempting to score from second on a single. The extent of Guillen's injury is not yet known, but a stint on the DL appears likely.
Views: Incredibly, the Angels keep on keepin' on, having won 15 of their last 17 games. In addition to the sluggers mentioned above, third baseman Troy Glaus has been hobbled by a sore shoulder—and has been forced to DH for nine straight games—while right fielder Vladimir Guerrero has been battling knee tendonitis. Anaheim reserves Chone Figgins, Jeff DaVanon, Shane Halter, and Robb Quinlan will see regular playing time, but these injuries are bound to catch up with the Angels. A falloff in production from Glaus and Guerrero is virtually inevitable.
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GuruHamster » Mon May 10, 2004 2:48 am

GREAT NEWS!!! From LA TIMES:

Guillen left the clubhouse Sunday walking gingerly but smiling, confident he can avoid the disabled list and optimistic about the possibility of playing Tuesday, when the Angels open a series in Yankee Stadium.

In the seventh inning, as he hustled a single into a double, his right leg bent awkwardly behind him as he slid into second base. He remained on the ground for several minutes, with trainers icing and immobilizing the leg, strapping him onto a stretcher and then lifting him onto a cart so he could be driven off the field.

At first, Guillen said, he lost the feeling in his ankle and feared a broken bone. But doctors found no evidence of a fracture, did not order X-rays and do not plan an MRI test to check for ligament or tendon damage unless an examination today warrants doing so. The Angels listed his status as day-to-day with sprains of the ankle and knee.

"I'm not worried about my ankle now," Guillen said. "My knee is my concern. Hopefully, I'll keep the swelling down and I'll be able to walk tomorrow. If I think I can play Tuesday, I'll be playing."

Said Manager Mike Scioscia: "Any time a player has to be carted off the field, your heart skips a beat. We're concerned, but the initial evaluation is very encouraging."

Although the Angels have bludgeoned opponents with varsity and junior varsity lineups alike, scoring 51 runs in concluding the first 7-0 homestand in club history, the pitchers have delivered the consistency that makes winning streaks possible.

On Sunday, Washburn gave up three earned runs and 10 hits in 6 2/3 innings to become the first six-game winner in the American League. Francisco Rodriguez got the final seven outs — five by strikeout — for the save. Rodriguez, who maintained his earned-run average at 0.00, has recorded 28 of his 61 outs this season by strikeout.

The Angels rank third in the league in runs scored and ERA, with an ERA of 3.15 over the past 18 games. The Angels have won 15 of those 18 games.

"We've taken our lumps in the lineup, but our pitching staff is taking form," Scioscia said. "That's the key component. As long as we can maintain that, we can absorb some things on the everyday side.

"But we're stretching the limit of that. The guys who are out of the lineup make up a pretty good team."

If he thinks he could play by Tuesday it means it ISN'T all that serious. Now I doubt he will but he could be DHing in a matter of days. The ankle doesn't seem to be that serious at all and the knee only a little more so. Remember Jose Guillen has played with a broken hand (for the A's last year in the playoffs). He's one tough guy. [/b]
GuruHamster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EK711 » Mon May 10, 2004 3:03 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

And I thought the fantasy gods had it in for me....

:-B ;-D
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby Spokes » Mon May 10, 2004 8:38 am

If he doesn't go on the DL, that would be absolutely amazing. I saw it live and when you saw that inflatable cast being put on, you had to figure something was broken or torn. I still think he'll go on the DL for precautionary reasons.
The freaky thing is that this accident happened while Guillen was sliding into 2nd. Earlier in the game, Eduardo Perez of the D-Rays was going for a triple and as he was rounding second, he just fell to the ground and stopped. Everyone started laughing because he fell and he just layed there. I thought he was just laying there because he was so pissed off and was just going to let the Angels tag him out. As it turns out, as he rounded second, he blew out his Achilles. You know, you go to baseball game and every game, you'll see something you've never seen before? Well, I have never seen 2 guys get hurt in the same game, AROUND THE SAME BASE! Just freaky.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers