Return to Baseball Leftovers

trade mesa while u can!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade mesa while u can!

Postby bucsfan04 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:22 pm

The Pirates have now lost 6 in a row :,-( I don't think that Mesa will get as many save opportunities as he has gotten so far. I'm trying to trade him off for a more steady option. Anybody else agree?
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: trade mesa while u can!

Postby Jose Contreras is 72 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:30 pm

bucsfan04 wrote:The Pirates have now lost 6 in a row :,-( I don't think that Mesa will get as many save opportunities as he has gotten so far. I'm trying to trade him off for a more steady option. Anybody else agree?

After his absolutely atrocious season on a much better Philly team last season, I never would have considered signing Mesa in the first place, and a dozen good appearances that led to little more than a nice chunk of April and early May saves certainly isn't enough to change that fact.
Jose Contreras is 72
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 09, 2004 7:35 pm

I believe the pirates were second in save opps last season. Mesa has shown hes back to 40 save form, and hes been lights out all season, I would keep him unless you can sell him very high.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby thetongueofire » Sun May 09, 2004 7:53 pm

i dont think that save opp. would make as much difference for a bottom of the line guy like Mesa as it would for a better and higher valued closer. i mean that even if the Pirates give him 40 opps. (everyone in the majors had at least close to 40 last year-a lot of teams were way higher) and he converts around 30 or so of them with a decent ERA and other stats, i bet every single one of us would've prolly gotten more value than we expected from him preseason. another implication of him not pitching very often would be that hes fresher. on the other hand, he wont have as much effect on you staff which can be either good or bad depending on how well he does. Also im with Zito on the save opp. thing- I don’t think that theres any reasonable way to predict save opps but the Pirates should prolly do decent there cos of not so good offense and some good SP. Also another plus point that I see with Mesa closing for the Pirates is that since the Pirates will win most of their (close) games against weaker teams, he’ll pitch a higher percentage of his innings against bad teams. thats just my take on it. but with that said if someone is willing to pay for him even slightly in line with what hes done until now, of course trade him.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Sun May 09, 2004 10:05 pm

I just traded Mesa and Griffey, Jr. for Berkman.
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jonathan » Sun May 09, 2004 11:23 pm

I just traded Mesa for Ichiro. There is a very real possibility that he will be traded at the deadline to a team that will use him to set up. I know everyone here thinks Ichiro is overrated and isn't better than Winn or Cameron or whatever, but I needed runs, steals and average and I hope he can give me that.
Jonathan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EK711 » Mon May 10, 2004 12:04 am

B.O.S. Owner wrote:I just traded Mesa and Griffey, Jr. for Berkman.

With the way Griffey's swing looks right now I don't know if I would have traded him away...
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon May 10, 2004 9:42 am

Jose Contreras is 72 wrote:
bucsfan04 wrote:The Pirates have now lost 6 in a row :,-( I don't think that Mesa will get as many save opportunities as he has gotten so far. I'm trying to trade him off for a more steady option. Anybody else agree?

After his absolutely atrocious season on a much better Philly team last season, I never would have considered signing Mesa in the first place, and a dozen good appearances that led to little more than a nice chunk of April and early May saves certainly isn't enough to change that fact.

This is silly, Jose. I picked up Mesa and traded him away after a handful of saves for Maddux. I expect him to blow up soon. Closers--even short-term ones--always have value.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby RedsRebirth » Mon May 10, 2004 10:00 am

This is silly, Jose. I picked up Mesa and traded him away after a handful of saves for Maddux. I expect him to blow up soon. Closers--even short-term ones--always have value.

Couldnt agree more.
RedsRebirth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers