Return to Baseball Leftovers

trade mesa while u can!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: trade mesa while u can!

Postby Jose Contreras is 72 » Mon May 10, 2004 1:17 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:This is silly, Jose. I picked up Mesa and traded him away after a handful of saves for Maddux. I expect him to blow up soon. Closers--even short-term ones--always have value.

I'm not arguing that, though I've got a team from last year with Mesa and Williams as my closers whose bench coaches, if they actually existed, might.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't necessarily be so quick to go hopping on this guy's bandwagon, because it's not as though he hasn't failed dismally recently. If you, or anyone, were able to take advantage of his early season success, then kudos. I just hope that recent history isn't lost on the same owners.

The guy might be in a good position to revitalize his career, especially since he's concievably exceeded everyone's expectations already, and as a few have said already, a large number of Pittsburgh's wins should come with save opportunities built in. I'll be happy for him if he does. As someone who was burned by the guy as recently as last year, though, I was extremely leery of him on draft day(s) and am somewhat understandably still leery about him now.
Jose Contreras is 72
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: trade mesa while u can!

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon May 10, 2004 2:28 pm

Jose Contreras is 72 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:This is silly, Jose. I picked up Mesa and traded him away after a handful of saves for Maddux. I expect him to blow up soon. Closers--even short-term ones--always have value.

I'm not arguing that, though I've got a team from last year with Mesa and Williams as my closers whose bench coaches, if they actually existed, might.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't necessarily be so quick to go hopping on this guy's bandwagon, because it's not as though he hasn't failed dismally recently. If you, or anyone, were able to take advantage of his early season success, then kudos. I just hope that recent history isn't lost on the same owners.

The guy might be in a good position to revitalize his career, especially since he's concievably exceeded everyone's expectations already, and as a few have said already, a large number of Pittsburgh's wins should come with save opportunities built in. I'll be happy for him if he does. As someone who was burned by the guy as recently as last year, though, I was extremely leery of him on draft day(s) and am somewhat understandably still leery about him now.

I understand being leery, but at what point to you put that to rest? Say he has 20 saves at the break? You still going to judge him on last year? You have to take some risks.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers