Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cintron

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cintron

Postby tmoney » Sun May 09, 2004 11:18 pm

I have gotten mixed reactions when I have asked if I should dump Cintron and pick up Jose Valentin. Cintron has been awful and I guess I dont see any upside for him at this point. I dont care about Valentin's low average, but I do like the rbi, runs, and hr potential he has. I think he has more value in a 5x5 roto league than Cintron. I guess I am asking what people are expecting out of Cintron for the rest of the season and why people think he should not be dropped.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun May 09, 2004 11:25 pm

Do not pick up Valentin. He went something like 3-for-27 with like 15 K's in his REHAB stint.

He shouldn't even be starting over either of Uribe/Harris right now.

Cintron played over his head last year (especially in the power department), but he's a solid contact hitter -- where as Jose Valentin is not.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby tmoney » Mon May 10, 2004 12:45 am

I had said before that I dont care that Valentin is not a great contact hitter. I dont think him going 3-for-whatever in rehab means anything, he said his mind was not all there. His power stats are much better than Cintrons, and Valentin is in a much better lineup. I know people are thinking that if I dont like Cintron, then i should just drop him. Well, I am still curious as to why people dont think he should be dropped right now and I dont want to make a move before I know more about him. Stat projections anyone?
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon May 10, 2004 1:02 am

If you don't care if Valentin hits .220 which what he'll probably hit, by all means. In roto leagues, I never punt BA.

Cintron is more valuable. I guess you don't read the Chicago Sun Times (perhaps you're not from Chicago with the Sox banner?), going 3-for-27 (whatever it was) and 15 K's in a rehab assignment has drawn the ire of Sox management.

Valentin's forte has ALWAYS been hitting (as he's one of the absolute worst defensive SS in the league). His hitting skills have eroded and the two hottest Sox happen to be 2B/SS Juan Uribe and 2B Willie Harris (both better defenders and greater upside than Valentin).
Last edited by Registered_Guest on Mon May 10, 2004 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Green Monster » Mon May 10, 2004 8:10 am

I share you pain. I picked up Valentin and dropped Cintron the other day. The reason being I needed a little more power. I'm not a huge Valentin fan, but if he can hit 23+ hr's then i'll be happy. Its almost mid-May and Cintron has showed nothing. Its been too frustrating watching him struggle so far. I'm in an 10 team league so i'm fairly confident that if Cintron begins to hit I can grab him back.
Green Monster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers