Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any Lazy CS Dorks Out There?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Lazy CS Dorks Out There?

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:31 am

:-)
alright, now that I have your attention... }:-)

I've been thinking for a while now about writing a perl script (or some such animal) that would be ran about 10 minutes before scheduled start times of games and report back to me, preferably in the form of an email, when my starters are not starting in the real games.

One improvement on this, of course, would be to have a built in AI like code (more like a bunch of conditionals) that would automatically adjust the roster based on the manager's preferences... (like, for examples, if(griffey starts) start griffey else if(burrell starts) start burell etc. etc etc.

presumably a script like this would have to do a little online hunting.

has anyone thought of doing something like this? has anyone done it?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Mon May 10, 2004 9:11 am

ummmm say what????????? that just went wayyyyy over my head apparently :-?
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby KULCAT » Mon May 10, 2004 9:15 am

:-?
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)

Postby PresHabib » Mon May 10, 2004 9:23 am

I believe the problem in question is that this manager has a problem with how he makes decisions on which guy to start on which day, only to find out that the player's manager gives the guy a day off that day. For example, I didn't know if I wanted to start Lowell or Huff at 3b yesterday, only to find out that Lowell got the day off. Also last year I started calling Bonds "The Puritan" because he seemed to get every other Sunday off. Its frustrating, especially if you can't be at a computer to check your lineup in that brief time between when lineups are posted and when the game actually starts. The proposed remedy is a code or something that will automatically edit your roster for you if a guy you start is not in the starting lineup that day.

Am I right?

To answer your question, I have not heard of anybody ever doing this, nor do I how someone would go about doing it. It's a good idea though, and I would perscribe to it if it actually went down!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby john gardner » Mon May 10, 2004 10:16 am

Would love to have something like that, but have seen nothing close....I bet Billy Gates has one.
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Shermars » Mon May 10, 2004 11:41 am

Interesting concept. I do not know of anything like what you have suggested.

You would have to build a lot more logic in to it then you are proposing. From what I can tell, you would like to get the best lineup for your team based on certian situations. One of course being is my Pitcher, Out Fielder, etc still starting today. To make the best choice of a lineup, you also have to include the league rules, situational stats (for example, better against a righty or lefty, better at night or day, home or away, etc). All of this is possible and the data is out there to support your program, but it will be much deeper then you have stated in your original thought. Not sure if perl would be my language of choice.

Good thought, will take some work.

PS - Yes I am a CS Dork :-D
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby facts » Mon May 10, 2004 12:55 pm

Give me the websites and such to check if someone is starting and ill see about doing a script real quick.
facts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 10, 2004 1:16 pm

I like the idea of incl how batters fare against particular pitchers, in particular parks, rightie vs. lefties, weather conditions, month by month performance and that sort of stuff so the computer could optimize your lineup each day. I, for one, would prefer to have the final say so on my lineup, rather than letting HAL or whoever adjust it for me.

Of course, that would be based on PAST performance, so, when somebody who used to not hit somebody else 'figures him out'' or when Brett Myers astounds everyone by NOT getting shelled, you would still have the same things to grumble about.

The $64.00 question is whether or not it will be so much work that you will have to sell it, get permissions from the statistical sources, offer a 'deluxe' version w/ BETTER stats, etc....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Shermars » Mon May 10, 2004 1:34 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I like the idea of incl how batters fare against particular pitchers, in particular parks, rightie vs. lefties, weather conditions, month by month performance and that sort of stuff so the computer could optimize your lineup each day. I, for one, would prefer to have the final say so on my lineup, rather than letting HAL or whoever adjust it for me.

I agree...this would have to be a suggested best lineup. Better yet, if you can feed in some of the free agents you are currently watching, you could make some moves if desired.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby afromangettindrunk » Mon May 10, 2004 2:02 pm

i saw CS and naturally thought Counter-Strike.

ps- im a counter strike addict.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers