Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any Lazy CS Dorks Out There?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:15 pm

You'd be in big trouble if your computer saw you talking to the screen 'man, 0 for 4 AGAIN, Soriano sucks, I'm going to trade his ass'

[computer, in evil, HAL voice] "Hello AcidRock. I have traded Soriano for Ensberg and Brett Myers"

Shermars wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I like the idea of incl how batters fare against particular pitchers, in particular parks, rightie vs. lefties, weather conditions, month by month performance and that sort of stuff so the computer could optimize your lineup each day. I, for one, would prefer to have the final say so on my lineup, rather than letting HAL or whoever adjust it for me.

I agree...this would have to be a suggested best lineup. Better yet, if you can feed in some of the free agents you are currently watching, you could make some moves if desired.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon May 10, 2004 2:26 pm

afromangettindrunk wrote:i saw CS and naturally thought Counter-Strike.

ps- im a counter strike addict.

Aw man. I remember those days... Half-Life 2 where have you gone?!!!!.....

But really dude, you need to stop before it steals your soul out of the back of your neck...
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Yeah... I have been addicted to a lot of different games CS being one of them.. Best way to quit is cold turkey.. take a vacation or get a girlfriend. You may think you don't want quit now but after the fact you will be happy you did. ;-D Sorry to stray from baseball haha
RWLongy4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GucciBaseballs » Mon May 10, 2004 2:55 pm

afromangettindrunk wrote:i saw CS and naturally thought Counter-Strike.

ps- im a counter strike addict.

i'm nasty with AK and knife !+)
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 10, 2004 3:01 pm

One of my pet projects includes an Excel-like application specifically designed for creating your draft sheet and setting up draft day strategies. Before I knew about the Lahman database (which is what I am using as the backend now) I had automated stat retrieval from the MLB.com database. It worked but one of the reasons I scrapped the idea applies to your idea.

Your strategy for retrieving the data from an online source could change without notice. With good design you could minimize the code adjustments but you would still have a program/script that could stop working anytime MLB.com, for instance, changed the interface to their data.

The only sure-fire way to do this would be to pay a company like Stats to provide the data you needed so you would have a guarantee. But once you start paying overhead now you have to charge for the software. It's a great idea that would probably be too big of a headache and require too much resources to be worth doing as a side project. Just my $.02. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers