Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another Fantasy baseball stat question.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another Fantasy baseball stat question.

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:13 pm

I've decided that I will keep daily track of the points i have in each of my (roto) leagues and eventually make some plots to see how that value fluctuates. I am kind of curious to see how big these oscilaltions are and roughly what the frequency of them is ...

has anyone tried this before? would anyone else be willing to supply data?

edit in parens above. clarification/explanation: I've noticed in my leagues that my team, but I imagine others too, tend to bounce around in overall point value and not really settle, but usually return to previous values eventually. I want to see if I can quantify this...
Last edited by matmat on Mon May 10, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 10, 2004 4:18 pm

What exactly are you trying to do?? Are you trying to see how streaks affect players through the course of the season or are you trying to see how a player's value changes based on the league type and cats?? Like how player A's value changes based on a 5X5 league as compared to an 8X8 league.

Please clarify.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby thetongueofire » Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 pm

i might be missing something here but im also not so sure of what you're trying to do- im assuming how many points your team gets on each day.. or is it just accumulating points and observing what the growth curve is like ???

also if you wanna do the daily points the occasional off day would screw up everything but you can prolly disregard those days i guess.

never tried it before. it would be a neat idea tho.... :-? . hope someone can come up with the data.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:24 pm

just want to look at overall points for a team in a roto league at the end of each day. Not sure what looking at a plot of this will find, but if there is some oscillation like I suspect it might be a good answer to peopel who post questions like "my team is falling quickly! what do I change???"
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby john gardner » Mon May 10, 2004 4:44 pm

This dramatic fluctuation is greater in the early part of the season since the data base is so small. It will smooth out as the season goes on. Is this what you're talking about?
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby matmat » Mon May 10, 2004 4:53 pm

yes it will smooth out, but it will still be there and I want to see just how much of it will remain and if it will be at all significant.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers