Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chi Sox double header lineup info

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chi Sox double header lineup info

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu May 13, 2004 10:14 am

The White Sox will use the same lineup that was posted for last night's rainout in game one of today's doubleheader.
That means Paul Konerko, Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand will all sit out in favor of Ross Gload, Juan Uribe and Timo Perez. In the second game expect to see the aforementioned regulars.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times

from the article:

Guillen said he spent an extra hour and a half after Tuesday's rout deciding what lineup he would use Wednesday. He was torn between putting regulars Joe Crede and Paul Konerko back on the field after each got a rare day off Tuesday or going with the same guys who got a slumping offense back on track.

"They're not playing because I made the [expletive] lineup,'' said a terse Guillen, who usually is light-hearted during his daily talks with the media. "You have any questions about who's playing or not, ask me. Don't ask my players. I made the lineup because I think we played pretty good baseball [Tuesday], and I didn't know for sure how Konerko was feeling.''

Konerko said his sore neck was healed and he could've played Wednesday. But Guillen decided Ross Gload would play at first, Juan Uribe would play at third for Crede and Timo Perez would again play in center in place of Aaron Rowand.

They will play in Game 1 today before the Sox go back to a more conventional lineup in the second game

The decision didn't seem to need much explaining, especially after the Sox pounded out 19 hits Tuesday. Still, Guillen took a defensive stance, saying he heard some of his players wondering why they weren't in the lineup.

"I don't care if they're happy or not [with the decision],'' Guillen said. "That's their job. I hope they're happy; I didn't screw anybody. If they have any questions, I'm around them all the time. They can ask me anything they want.''

Crede was on the bench even though he has batted .333 (15-for-45) with five home runs and 10 RBI over his last 11 games.

"When things are going good, you don't want to break it up,'' Crede said. "I thought I was going good.''

Konerko hasn't been doing as well -- 1-for-18 on the just-completed road trip -- and, like Crede, didn't want to complain.

"It bothers me when I sit when I'm healthy ... well, not healthy, but able to play,'' Konerko said. "I also know that [Tuesday] I couldn't play; there was no way I could do it. When you do that, you allow something like [losing your spot] to happen. As far as lineups, I just do what [Guillen] says.''

Uribe is set to make only his fourth start at third base in Game 1, while Gload will make only his fourth start, period. The Sox are 3-0 when Gload starts at first base. For Perez, it will be his 11th start.

"I have a good problem,'' Guillen said. "Everybody wants to play, and I can understand that. [But] I can only play nine people.

"I was the first manager after they scored [15] runs Tuesday to stay in my office for an hour trying to figure out my lineup. That's how much I care about my players. If they don't appreciate that, I don't care what they think.''

Konerko, a lifetime .209 hitter in May, thinks he's close to getting hot and just wants the opportunity to prove it.

"I'm chasing bad pitches and they're making good pitches --bad combination,'' said Konerko, who claims to have seen fewer than five good pitches to hit in the last week. "If there was a problem with my swing, I would be a little nervous.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox131.html
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chi Sox double header lineup info

Postby EK711 » Thu May 13, 2004 12:41 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:"They're not playing because I made the [expletive] lineup,'' said a terse Guillen

Haha :-b

I wish I could have heard Guillen during this interview...

Thanks for the info on the lineups ;-D
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers