Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo points leagues can be solved. (long)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GucciBaseballs » Tue May 18, 2004 4:31 pm

Tavish wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Dice wrote:Amanzinz- How do you account for new players?

I use minor league stats. This is open to debate but I believe there is a direct correlation between minor league stats (AAA especially) and success in the Bigs. Of course, sometimes I have to fudge the numbers. :-)

I have never been a big B.James fan but the Peak Projection System has always done me pretty well.

While not exactly on-topic, the off-season of creating projections is probably the most fun I have with fantasy baseball. I quit using published rating systems and started to use my own. I hit and miss about as much as the published guys but have alot more fun. Excel and comprehensive stat sites are my best friends once the season ends.

if you don't mind, i am curious what your basic projection formula is? If you don't want to post it, a PM works for me too.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 18, 2004 5:25 pm

Good post. I'm always suprised by how many players fail to take into account league setup when drafting their players.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Madison » Tue May 18, 2004 6:14 pm

Good research and nice post. ;-D

Perfect reason why I prefer roto ball though. You have to have a balanced team. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Arlo » Tue May 18, 2004 6:19 pm

Madison wrote:Good research and nice post. ;-D

Perfect reason why I prefer roto ball though. You have to have a balanced team. :-)

Insert punt-four-categories comment here.

Just kidding, Mad! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby Madison » Tue May 18, 2004 6:26 pm

Arlo wrote:Insert punt-four-categories comment here.

}:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-)
}:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) NEVER PUNT A CATAGORY! }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-)
}:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-)

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 18, 2004 6:31 pm

I like roto better for the strategy, but I think [points leagues can more accurately show reality IF the points are allocated properly. I like how it knocks closers and basestealers down to more proper valuations. And it lets you (in a league with fair allocations) build teams your way -- it doesn't matter how you do it.

I did this last year, unfortuantely injuries kept me back in one of my points leagues. wins were set at 10, losses -5 but homeruns were four, but the league gave credit for the hit too -- so a HR was actually worth five. And it was also a run scored and an rbi, so by the end an hr was set at like 7 points versus only -1 for a k. whereas a pitcher was 10 and -5.

Everyone loaded up on pitchers, from not having read the rules. I realized this and traded for all hr guys who didn't k too much and filled in with all the closers and dual eligibility relievers I could find. I got ahead by a bunch, but then some guys got hurt and I fell back down. Reading the points league rules is the most important thing you can do -- then figure out the points the best hitter would do versus the best pitcher. I think someone made the setting by accident, the "hit" shouldn't have been a point, but it was and by the tiem others realized it, I was motoring along.

I don't think it is "gaming the system" anymore than moneyball guys are gaining the system. find the best guys for the game you are playing and the strategy you are implementing.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Arlo » Tue May 18, 2004 6:34 pm

I really have to figure out a way to beat that mock by punting five... :-D

Er, sorry for the hijack. This is one of those posts that really shouldn't be sidetracked. Great stuff, Dice. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Tue May 18, 2004 6:34 pm

I'm in a points league and this was the first year I did the excel sheet with stat projections plugged into our points system. I think its still too early to see how successful I am. One thing I noticed was how crucial the points per IP stat could be.

Now that the season has started, I use the spreadsheet to keep track of how many points my current roster is scoring on a weekly, per game/AB/IP, and full season basis, and I can compare possible FA pickups too.

Nice post! ;-D
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -157)

Postby Madison » Tue May 18, 2004 6:38 pm

Arlo wrote:I really have to figure out a way to beat that mock by punting five... :-D

Lmao :-D ! But it's a computer program, not a real person, come on, 5 cats? 8-o Good luck. Lol. :-b

I too apologize for the hijack. O:-)

Carry on with the Yahoo points league strategy. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Arlo » Tue May 18, 2004 6:48 pm

Madison wrote:
Arlo wrote:I really have to figure out a way to beat that mock by punting five... :-D

Lmao :-D ! But it's a computer program, not a real person, come on, 5 cats? 8-o Good luck. Lol. :-b

Ok, so punting five and winning isn't possible in 5x5 (darn it). But I'll figure something out... :-b

Ok, stop it, stop it, bad Mad & Arlo. Back to the topic, which really does include the best fantasy advice you'll ever hear. You can know every fantasy trick in the book, you can be a master of the Coors platoon, you can draft based on the difference in value between East and West Coast players, but if you don't analyze your league's rules and scoring system, you'll be up the proverbial creek with no paddle in sight.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers