Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo points leagues can be solved. (long)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Tue May 18, 2004 7:09 pm

Just to keep the thread going...

does anyone have access to point values for a league that even out the pitcher/hitter imbalance? I mean, pretty much all the points leagues I have seen were skewed in favor of pitching...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nmarq8 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:26 pm

I just finished up an economic game theory class, and Dice, you should have taught it.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby TEKTON » Tue May 18, 2004 10:14 pm

R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (1.5), CS (-1), BB (1), HBP (1), K (-1), E (-1), W (12), L (-5), CG (6), SHO (10), SV (4), ER (-.5), BB (-1), K (1.5)

Second season I have ran these points. Next season holds and blown saves will be installed to calm the closer craziness.

BS(-2) HLD(2)
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue May 18, 2004 10:30 pm

GucciBaseballs wrote:if you don't mind, i am curious what your basic projection formula is? If you don't want to post it, a PM works for me too.

Its a heavily modified version of the Brock2 system. Mainly updated to account for the more HR intensive era baseball has moved into since the system was created. Plus I have a few floating modifiers to account for ballpark ratings and player trades to different lineups.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Dice » Tue May 18, 2004 11:42 pm

I have bad news for the rest of my league. Randy Johnson is mine. 8-o :-D ;-D

If I were to set the scoring rules, I think I'd do this:

R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), HBP (1), K (-1), E (-1)

W (7), L (-5), SV (3), BS(-2), HLD(2), IP (3), H (-1), ER (-1), BB (-1), K (1)

A save should not be worth the same amount of points as a home run, since a good closer can get 50 easy. I would not reward CG's and Shutouts specially. Having 9 well pitched innings should be enough.

Might also consider: GIDP (-1), HR's given up (-1), Sacrifices (1)

I wish Yahoo had the option of limited pitching by appearances, rather than IP. In Sandbox we had 162 starts and 140 relief appearances. Oh well.

Rotowise, I love my 5 x 5 league which has these categories: R, RBI, TB, OBP, SB, W, S, ERA, WHIP, K's.

Total bases and OBP are so much better than AVG and HR's at representing player's production.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby matmat » Wed May 19, 2004 12:00 am

Dice wrote:
A save should not be worth the same amount of points as a home run, since a good closer can get 50 easy. I would not reward CG's and Shutouts specially. Having 9 well pitched innings should be enough.

Rotowise, I love my 5 x 5 league which has these categories: R, RBI, TB, OBP, SB, W, S, ERA, WHIP, K's.

Total bases and OBP are so much better than AVG and HR's at representing player's production.

preface : I am too lazy to look up numbers right now.

I think a save should be worth more than a HR. Whereas it is true that a good closer will get 40ish saves, there are only 30ish sources of saves in the entire league leading to, probably, about 1000 saves total. An average hitter that gets drafted in an average 12 team league probably gets about 15HRs.... this leads to over 1500 HRs. Currently in my leagues where HRs and SVs are kept track of there is roughly a 2:1 ratio of HR:SV.

i totally agree with the CG and SHO point. Why give people extra rewards?

i also agree with the roto categories. my favorite league uses pretty much the same stuff as yours, except SLG in place of HR.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers