Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets to the Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheets to the Yankees?

Postby planet » Tue May 18, 2004 6:16 pm

I'm in an NL-only league and I am in the middle of trade negotiations in which i would receive him among other players... so if he goes to the yankees or the AL, it would be devastating to me... i need to know if there is any merit to these rumors... i hear that the yankees have no one they can offer except a minor league catcher... that doesnt seem like its good enough for the brewers to trade away their top pitcher... what do you guys think or what do you know?
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Tue May 18, 2004 6:21 pm

Everything I've read from Brewer's GM Doug Melvin says Sheets isn't going anywhere. He's their main draw and the only way to field a contender and draw people in is to have someone they want to see.

After 18 k's, I don't think he's going anywhere.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby mikey » Tue May 18, 2004 8:11 pm

nsulham wrote:Everything I've read from Brewer's GM Doug Melvin says Sheets isn't going anywhere. He's their main draw and the only way to field a contender and draw people in is to have someone they want to see.

After 18 k's, I don't think he's going anywhere.

I heard the same exact thing. I wouldn't expect Sheets to go to NY (or anywhere for that matter).
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby nmarq8 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:20 pm

This is from Peter Gammons on espn.com, May 10:

"Brewers GM Doug Melvin thoroughly understands such dilemmas, which is why he says he will not trade Ben Sheets in the foreseeable future, if ever.

"We have him for three years after this, and he will be at the front of our rotation as we bring in young pitchers and players to give us stability," says Melvin. "Development is tricky. I keep being asked when we're going to bring up Ben Hendrickson (a 23-year-old right-hander). He's a good young pitcher, but I want him ready when he gets here, not off four or five good starts in Triple-A.

"If you're a small-market team, if you rush young players -- especially young pitchers -- to the big leagues and let them learn on that level, by the time they're able to make you a contender you can't afford them, either because of free agency or arbitration. Then the big markets step in and take them when they're ready to pitch a team into the playoffs."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1798702
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Sheets is staying where he is. He is turning into a type of pitcher you would be proud to build your rotatrion around.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Silver Slugger » Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 am

he isn't leaving, and even if he were, it wouldn't be to NY, because a) ny doesn't have the sorts of prospects that sheets would command and b) he isn't expensive enough for them to buy him.
Silver Slugger
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers