Postby Liberty30 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:34 pm

More Stats

(these from espn.com)

17th perfect game in MLB history.

Total pitches: 117

Strikes: 87

Balls: 30

Batters faced: 27

Velocity of last pitch: 98 mph, striking out pinch-hitter Eddie Perez.

Strikeouts: 13

Number of batters in which he reached 3-ball count: 1

Number of batters in which he reached 2-ball count: 8

Swings and misses: 28

Foul balls: 31
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby frog99 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:35 pm

frog99 wrote:it depends how many starters you are using and how many innings they pitch, but really do expect to get a perfect game this season? 18 perfect games in 130 years since the National league was formed. (only 16 of those were offical. in one a pitcher pitched 12 perfect innings to lose the game in the 13th, in another the pitcher pitrched 27 consectuive outs, after Babe ruth was ejected after walking the 1st batter)

i shall now remove my foot, from my mouth.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby Tavish » Tue May 18, 2004 10:44 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:you expect to get impartial announcers from the station that is owned by the guy who owns the braves?

Nope, just that I don't much care for it.
CubsFan7724 wrote: If im watching the cubs game, I want Stone and Carey to be happy the Cubs are winning, not impartial.

I guess we can agree to disagree then. When I watch or listen to a Royals game and the homers that call it I often just turn the sound down. It sucks to lose the atmosphere of the fans cheering and chanting or crack of the ball off a bat, but its a tradeoff I'll deal with.
CubsFan7724 wrote:They are broadcasting for the home team, they should support it. They are broadcasting the games for BRAVES fans.

It's a national cable telecast right? I've never done a viewing audience breakdown, but I would assume that at least as many non-Braves fans watch the games. They are more than welcome to have whomever they want to call the game, I will take free(free as in cable TV free) televised games anyday. I just personally enjoy games more on ESPN or even (*sigh*) FOX.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue May 18, 2004 10:54 pm

Just saw an amazing stat to add. He beat out Nolan Ryan for the most years between no no's. 14 years for the Unit, and 9 for Ryan. That's as amazing as anything IMO. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Mark86 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:54 pm

Randy Johnson is my hero! I am playing the commish of my league who I like kidding around with about who has a better team. It could not have happened at a better time. I do not have to start anymore pitchers this week! I had someone come up to me and ask why I would take Randy Johnson in the thrid round. I wonder who is having the last laugh? :-b
Mark86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Tue May 18, 2004 10:57 pm

This is embarrassing. If the Braves had been even close to full strength, this wouldn't have happened. Damn you Giles. Too bad Marte is hitting at a .250 clip in Double A. :-D :~(
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue May 18, 2004 11:00 pm

Pedantic wrote:Last I checked, TBS is basic cable, too. On another note, this is embarrassing. If the Braves had been even close to full strength, this wouldn't have happened. Damn you Giles. Too bad Marte is hitting at a .250 clip in Double A. :-D :~(

Man, Im a huge Braves fan and had I been there I would have been cheering him on just as much as everyone else. When you get a chance to see something that rare you dont care who its against. You tip your cap to the man.. he just did something special. I dont think Giles or Furcal woulda hit his stuff tonight either. The man was filthy.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby LBJackal » Tue May 18, 2004 11:05 pm

Pedantic wrote:This is embarrassing. If the Braves had been even close to full strength, this wouldn't have happened. Damn you Giles. Too bad Marte is hitting at a .250 clip in Double A. :-D :~(

With 38 K's and only 12 BB's in 122 AB's :-o I have him in a few leagues, and I took him over David Wright who is absolutely tearing it up :~(

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:18 pm

actually TBS was a local station and still is, but like WGN it is superstationed now, which means its on air for local viewers (airwaves) and through the cable for those who dont live in the area. Also you must remember there are many casual baseball fans who only watch their team.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby WhiteHot » Tue May 18, 2004 11:23 pm

I started RJ and Schmidt. I am awesome.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)