Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does everyone hate Burnitz or is it just me?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does everyone hate Burnitz or is it just me?

Postby DaQ » Tue May 18, 2004 9:23 pm

I have Jeromy Burnitz on my fantasy team and have hin as my 2nd starting LF (you can start more than one at a position). He is also eligible at CF and RF. This year, he has 12 HR's and 31 RBI while batting .308 (after his fourth at-bat tonight). These great numbers and his versitality has posed a question to me...

Why does everyone hate Jeromy Burnitz??

For every trade offer I've made involving him, every owner told me Burnitz isn't of much value and really isn't too good. Also, I got him wit the 24th pick at LF (also had the 1st-Pujols). Are there really 23 LF's better than him? I think the guy will have a huge year (35-40 HR's, 95 RBI, .270 BA). Oh yeah, he hit 31 HR's last year while playing in two pitching parks (NYM and LA) while missing a month with a broken arm.

What do you guys think?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fiz » Tue May 18, 2004 10:04 pm

i dont know but i also give him no props and im not sure why
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Ender » Tue May 18, 2004 10:19 pm

He had a bunch of pretty good years in his career outside Col. His AVG is generally a problem but hitting in Coors field for half your games will remedy that. Solid OF this year for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby AdvRider » Tue May 18, 2004 10:45 pm

Um, because he's a career .252 hitter? Stroked a whopping .215 in 2002? .232 in 2000?

Lotsa FLB managers have had Burnitz one time or another in the past couple of years ... he's pretty promiscuous. Once burned twice shy.

JB's performance this year has totally erased any lingering doubts I had about the Coors Effect. If Burnitz can hit at Coors, who's next ... Jose Cruz Jr.? :*) :-o
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue May 18, 2004 10:52 pm

NOPE!!!!!!!!! I THINK HE IS THE GREATEST!!

WHY?

BECAUSE HE IS ON MY TEAM!! :)
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Postby brdmaverick » Tue May 18, 2004 10:57 pm

I am loving what Burnitz is doing for me, but I know what you mean. Last week I offerd Burntiz/Castillo for Sammy Sosa and the other owner went crazy, saying that I am insulting him with a trade like that. I think the trade is respectable, especially since he could've used another middle infielder.

Don't worry, things have a weird way of playing themselves out. Not only is Sammy now going on the DL, but his starting 2B is Marcus Giles, and we all know he is out for 6-8 weeks.

I bet he wishes he did the deal now.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby assron » Tue May 18, 2004 11:02 pm

he's my CF and he's been amazing for me. 40+ HR 100+ RBI for sure this year
assron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

J-Burn

Postby lifeform » Tue May 18, 2004 11:25 pm

I know what you mean, DaQ. I shopped Burnitz around a couple of weeks ago, but there was zero interest in my 12-team Yahoo league.

I'm kind of glad, actually. I'm not sure that I would want to do, say, Burnitz for Huff right now.

(2 more HRs tonight for Burnitz!)
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 pm

The reason why noone wants Burnitz is because he's a guy that is basically only useful to start when he's playing at home in Coors. Otherwise, he kills your batting average, and he has historically been a low average player. (.200/.376 home/road splits). Since he is only really good as a part time fantasy player, he doesn't have the same value his stats would indicate.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue May 18, 2004 11:37 pm

Ender wrote:He had a bunch of pretty good years in his career outside Col. His AVG is generally a problem but hitting in Coors field for half your games will remedy that. Solid OF this year for sure.

Uh, hasn't anyone noticed the fact that he jacked two tonight OUTSIDE of Coors????

Granted, Cincinatti isn't a pitchers park either, but it just goes to prove that Burnitz is solid even in parks outside of Denver.

And anyone who says that Burnitz sucks and is just enhanced by Coors Field then also HAS to say that Preston Wilson sucks too - remember her only hit .243 the year before he came to Denver.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers