Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's "Can't Cut List"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo's "Can't Cut List"

Postby Bonehead » Wed May 19, 2004 9:50 am

A prior post by JamesCloud16 re: Big Tex gradually turned to the topic of the Can't Cut List. Most posters thought that the list was useful in stopping owners from dropping their rosters and ruining (?) the league. My question is:

If an owner or two are not participating in the league due to being in last, to much effort, or any reason, would you rather have their players sit unavailable, or have them added back to the FA pool for everyone. Doesn't that make the league a little more competitive for the six or seven owners still attempting to win. Yeah, if the guy in first has waiver No. 1, he gets richer, but it could work the other way.

Just a thought and it would be interesting to hear thoughts or examples of what happened in your league if this happened.
Bonehead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bjm97 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:58 am

Two thoughts. I would prefer to see the team frozen and their lineups left alone. It doesn't seem fair to me to pick up a guy on the WW a few days before the prior's of the world are available too. There isn't an owner in any league who would pick up a streaking Finley if they knew that mags, beltran would be available in a few days. The other issue in H2H leagues (and more so in points) when your team is against a team that has dropped all the players. You will ultimately lose many of the catagories (depending on your scoring system) because an owner doesn't field a team. We had a arguement last year when one owner dropped out and while I benefited by picking up a great player I lost some ground in the standings when playing this empty team (CS, E, K, L, H, B, WHIP, ect). I would rather see a team frozen than to have other owners pick through and alter the balance of the league by a lucky waiver position.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 19, 2004 10:06 am

an empty roster really causes some problems in a h2h league. it isnt fair unless every team faces the empty team an equal amount of times and that probably doesnt happen too often.

also, i dont see how it makes the league more competitive if you put the players on waivers. as you mentioned, it could just make some good teams even better.

i dont think its fair if i spent a lot of time doing research to have a good draft and get good free agents and have someone else get a couple good players just because another team doesnt feel like playing any more. to me it just seems better to leave the players on the dead team.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Madison » Wed May 19, 2004 11:19 am

I'd rather let them sit on the dead team (s). Allowing a lucky person with waiver priority to claim the first round draft pick that the dead team cut just isn't any fun.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 12:02 pm

Madison wrote:I'd rather let them sit on the dead team (s). Allowing a lucky person with waiver priority to claim the first round draft pick that the dead team cut just isn't any fun.

Agreed and you'd probably have half the league abandon it out of frustration. :-/
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 pm

No because then each teams turn into an allstar team because they pick up all these great players. Also, you would never expect anyone to drop someone like Pujols so waiver priority #1 would be even more valuable, and would cause more commotion. Just freeze the team.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby pgolds » Wed May 19, 2004 3:26 pm

In a roto or points league, I might consider the following:

How about if you were to treat the dead teams' players as a subsequent draft? Get all the "active managers" to agree to an offline draft-type situation. Either let the lowest ranked active team pick first and move up the line in a serpentine draft that way or set up a draft order randomly. Once the draft is completed, let the commissioner make the changes accordingly. At least this way, everything is not left to the chance of WW priority. Everybody would retain their priority and the team's players would be back in the game.

It wouldn't work, of course, in a H2H league. In the case of an H2H league, I'd just lock the team and let it be.
pgolds Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rolenfan » Wed May 19, 2004 3:43 pm

I like pgold's Supplemental Draft concept, for roto or points leagues only and if done fairly early, maybe up 1/3 of the way into the season. In H2H I think it's best to freeze the team.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 19, 2004 3:50 pm

rolenfan wrote:I like pgold's Supplemental Draft concept, for roto or points leagues only and if done fairly early, maybe up 1/3 of the way into the season. In H2H I think it's best to freeze the team.

That is a good idea if you were trying to distribute the talent evenly, but I would still want to lock the team. The only thing is that if the players are really good and there is little difference between top and bottom, that could really swing the standings. Imagine a team just a handful of points away from first picking up Pujols or Beltran and then leap frogging everyone else. Especially since in tight leagues there could be substantial fluctuation from day to day as far as rankings go. I don't know how realistic or practical that is, just my $.02. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Return to Baseball Leftovers