Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Pedro Feliz Bases on Balls Tracker!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Pedro Feliz Bases on Balls Tracker!!

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:20 pm

Feliz never drew many walks but this season he has taken it to a new ridiculous level. He has a 30/1 K/BB ratio (as of 5/22/04)! That's right he has ONE walk so far. His walk came on 4/21/04 in an 11-0 loss to the Padres. So when do you think he'll get his next walk? How many walks will he have this season? This should be fun... :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 22, 2004 4:25 pm

Good point eftda....

I would like to see Feliz bat in FRONT of Barry, so that they have to give him pitches to hit. He won't walk no matter where he hits apparently, so you might as well put him in the spot that will give him pitches to hit.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:30 pm

eftda wrote:If Bonds gets a walk, then the team will give strikes to Feilz so he can hit into a DP. They wont put two men on base with no outs.

Are you saying that Feliz has only one walk so far because Barry is on base when he bats? How about the times when Feliz comes up and Barry isn't on base. Then what? Feliz swings at EVERYTHING. That's why he has only one walk, not because of Barry Bonds. His lack of plate discipline will doom him eventually. I don't trust players that don't draw at least a few walks. Feliz makes Randall Simon look like Barry in terms of drawing walks.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 22, 2004 4:32 pm

LCBOY, I suppose you think A. Soriano sucks too huh?

You don't have to draw walks to be effective, it just makes it tougher.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:37 pm

slomo007 wrote:LCBOY, I suppose you think A. Soriano sucks too huh?

You don't have to draw walks to be effective, it just makes it tougher.

I didn't say Feliz sucks, much less Soriano. Soriano had 38 walks last season and is on pace for a out the same this season. Feliz is on pace to draw FOUR walks. That is a huge difference. A lack of plate disciple hinders a hitter from having great long term success. That is what will keep Soriano from being a truly great hitter. Soriano is a good hitter but not a great hitter. If he cound draw 60-80 walks a year he would be much more effective a hitter.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 22, 2004 4:42 pm

Walks don't mean THAT much.

Example, someone who walks a lot is Brad Wilkerson. Yet you will rarely hear about someone being afraid of what Brad Wilkerson will do to you or being that great of a hitter.

If you are a leadoff man then yeah, walks are important. But in the heart of the lineup, I want my guy to do the job, not just walk. What good does Feliz drawing a walk do when he has guys like Neifi Perez and J. Hammonds behind him? If I were Alou, I would tell him not to walk, there's no point.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:45 pm

eftda wrote:Not to pick on you LCBOY, but if he is hitting .300 and has only one walk then it means hes getting great contract, so when he learns to wait for certin pitches then he will explode with hrs.

Do you actually believe Feliz is a .300 hitter? He has never hit .300 in the minors and before this season his career major league BA was .247. Even .247 hitters can hit .300 over 129 ABs. Feliz's offensive contribution is all in his BA. When he doesn't get a hit he does nothing. A player that draws many walks contributes even when he doesn't get a hit.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:51 pm

slomo007 wrote:Walks don't mean THAT much.

Example, someone who walks a lot is Brad Wilkerson. Yet you will rarely hear about someone being afraid of what Brad Wilkerson will do to you or being that great of a hitter.

If you are a leadoff man then yeah, walks are important. But in the heart of the lineup, I want my guy to do the job, not just walk. What good does Feliz drawing a walk do when he has guys like Neifi Perez and J. Hammonds behind him? If I were Alou, I would tell him not to walk, there's no point.

My point is that since Feliz doesn't draw walks it is unlikely he can substain his .300 BA. So when doesn't get a hit he makes an out. What if they pitch around him? He still swings at ball and get's himself out instead of taking his base and allowing the next hitter to do something. Let me ask you this? What is better? Having Feliz make an out or drawing the walk and putting more pressure on the pitcher? The pitcher now has to pitch from the stretch and watch the runner on first. The pitcher's job is now harder.

I like Feliz a lot. He is helping my Giants because he is one of the few Giants' hitters doing something. But he is what he. I expect him to cool down soon...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers