Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Pedro Feliz Bases on Balls Tracker!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PacBellParker » Sun May 23, 2004 12:16 am

"Feliz's offensive contribution is all in his BA. "

????????????????????

I don't know how you can say this. At the start of the day, Feliz had 8 HR and 25 RBI in 129 ABs. Projected over 580 ABs, this would be 36 HRs and 113 RBI to go along with the .300 avg. Not saying that he will keep this up all year, but to say that his offensive contribution is all in his BA is just wrong.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Sun May 23, 2004 12:24 am

slomo007 wrote:Walks don't mean THAT much.

Example, someone who walks a lot is Brad Wilkerson. Yet you will rarely hear about someone being afraid of what Brad Wilkerson will do to you or being that great of a hitter.

If you are a leadoff man then yeah, walks are important. But in the heart of the lineup, I want my guy to do the job, not just walk. What good does Feliz drawing a walk do when he has guys like Neifi Perez and J. Hammonds behind him? If I were Alou, I would tell him not to walk, there's no point.

Uh oh, be careful you don't eat those words about Wilkerson by the end of the year.

Now, as far as walks go, they mean more than you think. A spike in walk ratio means that a more patient hitter will get better pitches to hit when they swing. It drives the batting average up, and a player takes a step to the next level. There are exceptions that go against this, but walks are definitely an indicator of how a player is muturing once they hit their mid to late twenties. And like I said be careful, the walk ratio for Brad Wilkerson has many people's projections very high on him.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Tavish » Sun May 23, 2004 12:53 am

Walks have a pretty major link with average. Last year only 4 players hit over .300 drawing less than 25 walks. The highest average for someone drawing less than 20 was .281, the next highest was .276. His power numbers might stay up there, but unless he does develop more patience there is no way I see him hitting above .270 mark.

(min 400 AB)

AJ Peirzynski .312 - 24BB
Jose Guillen .311 - 24BB
Jacque Jones .302 - 21BB
Grissom .300 - 20BB
Molina .281 - 13BB
Simon .276 - 16BB
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 23, 2004 1:28 am

perlick29 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Walks don't mean THAT much.

Example, someone who walks a lot is Brad Wilkerson. Yet you will rarely hear about someone being afraid of what Brad Wilkerson will do to you or being that great of a hitter.

If you are a leadoff man then yeah, walks are important. But in the heart of the lineup, I want my guy to do the job, not just walk. What good does Feliz drawing a walk do when he has guys like Neifi Perez and J. Hammonds behind him? If I were Alou, I would tell him not to walk, there's no point.

Uh oh, be careful you don't eat those words about Wilkerson by the end of the year.

Now, as far as walks go, they mean more than you think. A spike in walk ratio means that a more patient hitter will get better pitches to hit when they swing. It drives the batting average up, and a player takes a step to the next level. There are exceptions that go against this, but walks are definitely an indicator of how a player is muturing once they hit their mid to late twenties. And like I said be careful, the walk ratio for Brad Wilkerson has many people's projections very high on him.

Wilkerson has walked a lot for the past 3 years, and his BA has never been good. He is the type of guy who is just too patient....and yes there is such a thing...when a meatball comes over the plate that he lets go because he thinks it might be a ball, that's too patient.

Back to Feliz.....as mentioned by other people, I don't really care if he falls to .270, as long as he has 1B, 3B, and SS eligibility and is still hitting a decent amount of HRs, he will have a spot on my team for injury insurance purposes.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby jbones733 » Sun May 23, 2004 1:36 am

if he plays everyday, as long as hes batting behind Bonds he will drive in over a 100 & hit at least 25 jacks prob 30 , i could care less if he walks once more the rest of hs career, if i can get those #'s out of a FA pickup its a plus in my book
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 23, 2004 1:38 am

jbones733 wrote:if he plays everyday, as long as hes batting behind Bonds he will drive in over a 100 & hit at least 25 jacks prob 30 , i could care less if he walks once more the rest of hs career, if i can get those #'s out of a FA pickup its a plus in my book

My thoughts exactly, I can't figure out why so many people don't like this guy? He is nothing but valuable in the world of fantasy baseball. Now if only he could steal 20 bases.... :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sun May 23, 2004 1:48 am

My thoughts exactly, I can't figure out why so many people don't like this guy?

I don't think anyone was saying they dislike the guy or he wasn't productive. (Not wanting to speak for LCBOY but) What is being said was that his average is an aberration, due to past performance and his total lack of discipline at the plate. If he continues to swing at everything in sight then sooner or later he will see nothing but crap and his production will drop off. .270 25-90 could (and probably should) be reachable for him this year. I'm sure there are plenty of owners who would love to have his eligibility and those numbers (hell owners still draft Jose Valentin).
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 23, 2004 1:50 am

Haha, very true about Valentin. But yeah that's all I was trying to get at, I don't think he's a .300 hitter either (as proven by his 0/5 today), but as long as he has his power (and his eligibilty) and isn't a complete average drain, then he has a lot of value.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

l

Postby JOEG » Wed May 26, 2004 12:23 am

WALK #2!!!!! however followed a K and was followed by another K!!!
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 26, 2004 12:24 am

My patience is growing amazingly thinner without that SS eligibility.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers