Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which 3B will end up being the best?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 3B will end up being the best?

Postby Oshjo » Mon May 31, 2004 8:08 pm

There are a plethora of 3B this year that are doing really well so far. Some will keep it up, some won't. Who do you think will end up with the best stats at the end of the year? Rolen? A Rod? Mora? Lowell? Castilla? Cabrera? Blaylock? Aramis Ramirez? Beltre? Chavez? Some people obviously have more of a chance to finish on top compared to others, but even someone like blaylock, if he stepped it up even another notch could be dominant for the rest of the year. (Not that I think he will...)
Who do you think will be the best after all is said and done?
Oshjo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadxor » Mon May 31, 2004 8:11 pm

I'm also interested in what Cabrera is going to pan out to be. Should I be expecting a Pujols type guy who hits for just about everything, or just a solid hitter?
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pibb55 » Mon May 31, 2004 8:21 pm

I think if everyone stays healthy this is my top 10...
Arod
Rolen
Chavez
Lowell *Injury Risk
Huff
Vinny
Cabrera *Injury Risk
Mora *Injury Risk
Blalock
Beltre *Injury Risk
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BGbootha » Mon May 31, 2004 8:23 pm

Rolen, simply due to his consistancy. Lowell is having as awesome first half, but he is notorious for fallen off during the summer and fall. Mora, i mean come on there is no way he keeps this up, period. As far as the others, 3B is definitly the deepest position out there. Most of them are going to have pretty darn good years.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 31, 2004 8:36 pm

BGbootha wrote:Rolen, simply due to his consistancy. Lowell is having as awesome first half, but he is notorious for fallen off during the summer and fall. Mora, i mean come on there is no way he keeps this up, period. As far as the others, 3B is definitly the deepest position out there. Most of them are going to have pretty darn good years.

1B and OF are both WAYYYY deeper than 3B. That being said, there *is* a lot of 3B talent to choose from this year.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby Oshjo » Mon May 31, 2004 8:55 pm

ah, i beg to differ. 3B is probably the deepest, because every single player in the league can have a 3B that is in the top 50 (according to yahoo rankings...) there is no way everyone can have 3 really good outfielders, or even 1 really good 1b. I bet player by player, 3B is deeper than first, easy.
Oshjo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DaQ » Mon May 31, 2004 10:12 pm

Oshjo wrote:ah, i beg to differ. 3B is probably the deepest, because every single player in the league can have a 3B that is in the top 50 (according to yahoo rankings...) there is no way everyone can have 3 really good outfielders, or even 1 really good 1b. I bet player by player, 3B is deeper than first, easy.

OK-let's put that to the test (based on how they'll do the whole season and how they're doing now). If the players are relatively close, they are equal.

ARod=Pujols
Rolen=Helton
Chavez=Delgado
Lowell=Thome
Huff<Giambi
Vinny<Bagwell
Cabrera>Casey
Mora=Overbay
Blalock=Craig Wilson
Beltre=Derrek Lee (strong 2nd half)

Maybe you are right, but I still think 1B is a little deeper since when healthy, Sexson is better than Glaus. Either way, 3B is pretty deep this year.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon May 31, 2004 10:19 pm

It will be A-Rod and Rolen neck and neck for first and second and a long way to third IMO. A-Rod is A-Rod, and Rolen is having a career year so far. ;-D But I would say 3B is one of the deeper positions behind OF and maybe 1B.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 31, 2004 10:20 pm

IMHO, once you use the words Yahoo Rankings to make an argument, it loses steam. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby mcmahojl » Mon May 31, 2004 10:30 pm

I think Rolen is going to end up with the top 3B title. How can you compete with 50 RBI's and a .340 average a third through the season? Then: ARod, Lowell, Blalock, and Castilla. Chavez just doesnt keep a high enough average to stay afloat with these guys in my opinion. Huff, too, is not very consistent. The first guys that I mentioned are for real, hitting everyday, putting up big numbers. I also think that Cabrera will be a great one. I watch all of his games, and I see why he puts up the numbers that he does. I would say that in a couple years, Pujols numbers. Now? More along the lines of Beltran without the SB's.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers