Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which 3B will end up being the best?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:49 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:1B and OF are both WAYYYY deeper than 3B. That being said, there *is* a lot of 3B talent to choose from this year.

Sure, if you look at preseason rankings, but if you look at this season's statistics only, it's not even close. 3B is WAYYYY deeper than 1B. With that being said, will it be this way at the end of the year? Who knows.

Oh, and yahoo rankings are very accurate if you want to rank based on this season's statistics only and you sort by "rank" and not "o-rank".
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby planet » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:59 pm

WHAT ABOUT ARAMIS RAMIREZ?!?!?!?!!??!?
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urge » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:07 pm

Arod no question. Even a career year by Rolen won't be enough to pass up an average year by Arod.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:16 pm

Ender wrote:
My list would be

Arod
Rolen/Lowell/Cabrera
Blalock
The rest of them
Beltre - will get hurt before season is over.

How can you have a 3b list and NOT include Chavez? :-?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:22 pm

Lofunzo wrote:IMHO, once you use the words Yahoo Rankings to make an argument, it loses steam. ;-)

Once I started reading this thread, I thought the same thing
Last edited by blankman on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:29 pm

planet wrote:WHAT ABOUT ARAMIS RAMIREZ?!?!?!?!!??!?

I'm with you there planet

Mine, although they may seem a little wierd
A-Rod
Rolen
Huff
Ramirez
Chavez
Cabrera (only because we can't be sure what we'll get from him yet)
Blalock
Lowell

I really don't think Chavez is as good as his "hype" is. He's a great defensive 3B, but that doesn't matter for fantasy. Every year, we say he'll 40 HR this year but it never happens. Granted he's still young, but with his lineup, I don't see him as the 3rd ranked 3B that a lot of people have him at.

Mora
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby xtrm84 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:36 pm

you guys forgetting about feliz, he'll tear it up b/c everyone is forgetting about him!!!!
xtrm84
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:10 pm

I don't think this is the case, but why is it written in stone that arod HAS to finsih better than rolen? I personally think he will, BUT frankly, not ruling it out with rolen. he is top tier hitter who is still relatively young and on a good hitting team.

is this how it ends up? or how they will be from this point forward?

I persoanlly think it will be:
arod/rolen -- I think the rbis could really mitigate this
mora/lowell -- I think they could be a force IF ...
chavez
cabrera
castilla
blalock
aramis
huff
beltre
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:33 pm

I don't like Huff in the top 3 or even the top 5. I'm not "down" on Huff. In fact, I think he's a very good player and will be one of the top 1B or years to come, but in that lineup, with the slow start he's off to, I just don't see him ahead of pretty much any of those being mentioned besides maybe Cabrera and Mora.

I think everyone sees one multihomer game and all of the sudden his slow start is totally washed from our collective memory. Honestly, I'm not trying to say he's NOT out of his funk, but I didn't rank him above Rolen, Chavez, Blalock, or Lowell in preseason, and there certainly hasn't been enough to indicate a resurgence just yet.

I would rank them like this:

ARod
Rolen
Chavez
Blalock/Lowell
Ramirez/Huff
Cabrera
Castilla
Beltre

Mora

ARod is in a league of his own. He is capable of so much more than any other player on this list, and whether he reaches 50+ HRs and 130+ RBIs or not (his averages over the past three seasons), that's what we've grown to expect from him on a fairly regular basis.

Rolen gets the nod at 2 in part because he is the one off to such a hot start. He leads all of them in RBIs and is right up there in all of the other categories. He's also a remarkably consistent player. I'd want him over anyone but ARod.

Chavez is the next best, IMHO. He has the most realizable upside for THIS year (edging out Blalock, but not by a ton), and I believe he will pick up his batting average as he continues to really pick up the slack for the guys that got away (Tejada/Giambi). Before the start of the year, everybody was drafting Chavez slightly behind Rolen on average, and not enough has really happened to change that.

Blalock and Lowell is really a toss up. Lowell is off to the better start thus far, thanks to a couple of dry weeks for Blalock, but if you'll notice, the Rangers in general have run dry over the past few weeks, and Blalock led the AL in HRs in May even in spite of the fact that he didn't finish the month strong. The Rangers WILL be hitting, a lot, and soon. Everybody's numbers will go up, ESPECIALLY in August. I'd love to have Lowell too, guy just pounds the ball. He hits so many monster shots that it doesn't matter that he plays in a pitcher's park. So many of them are 400+ feet anyhow.

Ramirez is having an unbelievable start, to be sure. He'll be a top 3B, but I don't expect him to keep up quite this great a pace. Too many extended slumps in his past, including last year's first half, in which NOTHING got out of the park for him.

Cabrera is a wild card. I could be underrating him badly, or everyone could be overrating him very badly. Sure he has a TON of potential, and his production thus far is undeniable, but he is still very young, I'll wait a while before I give him the benefit of the doubt over any of the above (not that that's the least bit of a knock considering ALL of the above are producing big right now.)

Castilla is in Coors Field, what more is there to say? For one, if he were producing like this in any other park, he'd probably be third behind ARod, but even so, what he is doing is extremely valuable to a fantasy team, if not altogether stunningly impressive. Even though, he'll probably be among the top 5 3B this year, he just misses my top 5, just because I want to salvage some sense of absolute ability and Coors is just too much of an inflation for me to truly acknowledge.

(On a side note, we all need to wake up. First Preston Wilson last year, then Castilla and Burnitz this year. Shoot, it's hard to say passing on any of these three in even as early as the 10th round wasn't a mistake. I will now make a point of drafting any and all players acquired by the Rockies in free agency that show any power at all in their old venues.)

Beltre is a huge surprise this year, enough so that I actually picked him up as an undrafted FA in a couple leagues (perhaps the UFA of the year. He hasn't really slowed down yet, but the bone spurs scare me a little.

Mora is producing VERY well right now, and I have a ton of respect for what he is doing, but like most, if it's my fantasy team, I'd be a lot more comfortable with any of the others.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby planet » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:40 pm

i think people forget that ramirez is just 25... he is right at the age where guys start to put it together... and so far he has... and it doesnt hurt that he hits in a great lineup in a hitter-friendly park...

this has all the makings of a career year for him...
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers