Return to Baseball Leftovers

Montreals Cordero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Montreals Cordero

Postby Dodger Blue » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:13 am

What do you guys think of this From CBS Sportline

Chad Cordero, RP, Montreal. It won't be long before the Expos turn over their closer job to this "closer-of-the-future." Cordero has been the Expos' most effective reliever all year, and he should be an elite Fantasy finisher for several seasons. 2004 Stats: Expos, 23 games, 1-0 record, 1 SV, 1.27 ERA, 1.271 WHIP, 21 K in 28.1 IP.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ziggy Zoggy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:16 am

I've posted this already tonight, but...I was at the Mon-Atl game tonight. Cordero looked much better than Biddle. Even though Biddle had to try to get 5 outs in the 9th, he seems to be one of those guys that has trouble closing out games no matter what. If I were Frank Robinson, I'd flip flop Cordero and Biddle and see what happens. He's got nothing to lose.
"Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man."
Ziggy Zoggy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:39 am

Robinson is one of those who thinks the seventh and eighth innings are where your best relievers should be used. That's not a joke, in case anyone thinks I'm making this up.

He's not the only one, evidently. There can be no other reason (except for loyalty?) that KRod sets up Percival. Supposedly, Hurdle also subscribes to this theory, explaining his decision to have Fuentes pitch ahead of Chacon. Cleveland's Wedge wants Betancourt in front of Jimenez.

So I guess Eric Gagne should be pitching the seventh and eighth for the Dodgers, right? It seems clear to me this is a flawed theory. The toughest outs are the final three. And Cordero should be closing for Les Expos. Biddle shouldn't.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:41 am

thehat wrote:Robinson is one of those who thinks the seventh and eighth innings are where your best relievers should be used. That's not a joke, in case anyone thinks I'm making this up.

the reasoning goes a little deeper than that. When you are managing a team that doesn't win very often and has closing chances even more rarely if you have your best reliever as the closer, he doesn't get regular work. if he doesn't get regular work he will not perform up to his ability. Thus there are a couple solutions:

1) move him to middle relief, where he'd get regular work in hold situations and the like

2) use him as a closer, but also bring him in "stopper" situations in middle innings... i.e. save-like situations where the team needs an out and then take your chances with some other pitcher later on...

anyhow. seems like wedge and robinson subscribe to 1... I guess 2 is what people like to term closer by committee, but to me it makes much more sense.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Dr.DooM » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:29 am

The hardest three outs is in the 7th or 8th inning with a one-run lead, bases loaded, and no outs. That's why Wedge put Betancourt back in middle relief.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers