Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Crawford

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carl Crawford

Postby trippinonreality » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:51 pm

Why is everyone so high on this guy. I guess I should trade Tejeda, Adam Dunn and Manny Ramirez for him because he is an obvious stud and they are batting about .150 combined. There should be another survey here that asks the question has a stat chaser ever beaten you in a league?
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:30 pm

You're obviously not paying attention to the discussion. Nobody is advocating trading Tejada or Manny for Crawford. Dunn, on the other hand... bah! He may have hit a couple homers against the Cubs, but it's all down hill from here.

I'm close to just deleting flame-bait posts like this one, but I'll let it sit for now. Crawford is a decent add for teams who have a weak bench. Drop one of your bench players and add a different bench player who was expected to do no better, but who has showed strong at the beginning of the season.

It's people like you who missed out on guys like Gagne, Bellhorn, and Marrero last season, because you were too attached to those fliers you drafted in the last 2 rounds.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby Chicago » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:31 pm

SHould you trade Tejeda, Adam Dunn and Manny Ramirez for Carl Crawford? No. Should you consider picking him off the waiver wire where he started the season in most leagues? Yes. People who have great drafts usually win leagues, but only if they also play stat chaser. Most people have holes to fill on their team. Only way to fill is trades or the free agent list. Early bird gets the worm.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:39 pm

Carl Craword-Dave Roberts-Alex Sanchez.

Take your pick. That's all there is to it.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby trippinonreality » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:27 pm

Wasn't trying to flame what I was trying to do is get someone to tell me what is so great about him because I just don't see it. As far as last year I didn't play last year but if I did I may have missed the boat on those guys but I doubt it would have cost me the league. The only reason I posted it is because every league I was ever in this one guy always grabs the hot players and never finishes at the top so I was wondering does that strat work.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:02 am

Crawford is a hot item right now because he has serious talent. He's not some 27 year old guy that just started hitting. He's a guy who at every minor league level was the youngest guy, but yet one of the best hitters in the league. He tore up Triple AAA last year as a 20 year old. This kid can flat out play. To doubt that he can hold his own, is ridiculous. Is he going to be the MVP this year? No. He should, though, be a pretty solid player.

For the record, I am starting him at my utility position, but I'm playing in a 16 team league so playerds can get spread pretty thin. He's a much better alternative than guys like Chris Singleton and Jay Payton , since he's going to get 600+ at bats and he's proven himself as a good quality hitter at every level. I would make the prediction that he'll probably get similar numbers or better than Shannon Stewart. That's not bad off the wire.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby brownjj2 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:33 am

The best thing about this guy is the fact that he will get alot of ab's. In deep leagues guys who play every day and esp. at the top of the order are hard to come by. If he can hit.280 he will steal a minimum of 30 bases and be a valuable player.
brownjj2

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby miller » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:53 am

I drafted him in a 14 team 5x5 roto league and he is starting in a utility spot. Piniella likes to run his guys and it looks like he can get on base. 25-35 steals are hard to find in a big league
miller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:29 am

trippinonreality wrote:The only reason I posted it is because every league I was ever in this one guy always grabs the hot players and never finishes at the top so I was wondering does that strat work.

Well, it only works if you need those hot players and only if you drop your weakest players. But weakest doesn't mean your slumping superstars, who will usually pick up eventually. Weakest means fliers you picked up at the end of the draft who aren't panning out. Being too attached to your prospects to pick up new prospects is a bad thing.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:52 am

Crawford will only be valuable to a team that isn't getting steals from another position. I won't pick him up because I have Soriano at 2nd and Encarnacion in the Outfield. He will hit about .275 with 15 homers and 55+ steals IMO.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers