Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon finally out/Redman buy sign?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chacon finally out/Redman buy sign?

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:40 pm

Looks as though Chacon is finally going to be removed as the Colorado closer in favor of either Harikkala or Reed for now, possibly Fuentes when he returns. This is being reported at several sites, so I'll assume it's accurate. Personally, I have no interest in either Harikkala or Reed, but if you're desperate for saves...

As for Redman, he's been a flop to date. But he was razor sharp vs. the Cubs last time out, and is moving into his best time of year. Redman is 10-3, 3.21 lifetime in July, clearly his best career month. I suspect he can be had pretty cheap, and might prove to be a decent low cost investment.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donut » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:48 pm

is this a sure thing guys? if so..i'm gonna pick up lehr
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:18 pm

donut wrote:is this a sure thing guys? if so..i'm gonna pick up lehr

Sure thing or not, you should not have Chacon in your lineup. Playing a closer with a 4 plus ERA as Herges has is one thing. You can at least justify his existence with the saves you accrue. But when the ERA is 7 or 8 and the WHIP is just as painful, you simply cannot keep the guy around. So whether he keeps the job, loses it temporarily or permanently doesn't matter. Get rid of the guy.

As for Lehr, it seems almost certain that the A's will have to make a deal for a closer. They won't entrust a pennant race to a raw rookie. My best advice is to find a relief pitcher that can help you to some extent across the board, even it doesn't result in many saves. Jesus Colome would be a possibility, or a few others that are setup guys that will steal the occasional save and get the gig if anything happens to the present closer.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:23 pm

just a quick hit here ...

I like Fuentes once he comes off the DL, but it will be for the short term. He is a lefty, and Hurdle has said he would prefer him as a setup.

Redman will hold onto the job, Just condider his early season struggles, and asjustment to the AL ...

as for an Oakland closer, word on the street today is thet they are going after Urbina.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:08 am

Looks like a 50/50 result here, but one I'm happy with. Chacon is STILL going to close for Colorado, despite the fact that he has only one pitch and cannot throw that for strikes consistently.

But Redman was rock soild again tonight. Good mid-season addition if you got him on the cheap, which you might not be able to do following this second straight staunch effort.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

What's the news on a Freddy Garcia trade?

Postby Chuckles » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:16 am

I've heard the Yanks and Dodgers are interested in him, but the Mariners foolishly think they are still in the playoff race, so they aren't moving yet. Is there anything different to what I've heard here? I'm holding onto this guy, waiting for him to get traded to a team that scores runs for him. What a concept, ay?!!?
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What's the news on a Freddy Garcia trade?

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:25 am

Chuckles wrote:I've heard the Yanks and Dodgers are interested in him, but the Mariners foolishly think they are still in the playoff race, so they aren't moving yet. Is there anything different to what I've heard here? I'm holding onto this guy, waiting for him to get traded to a team that scores runs for him. What a concept, ay?!!?

Who are you talking about?
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby getoffmywalrus » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:30 am

Chacon got the save tonight, it wasn't pretty though. If anyone has any verified sources on this situation, post them here, and quick. I need to get a head jump on this new closer.
"Carl Everett's the best player in baseball, just ask him." -Ryan Dempster
getoffmywalrus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby donut » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:34 am

getoffmywalrus wrote:Chacon got the save tonight, it wasn't pretty though. If anyone has any verified sources on this situation, post them here, and quick. I need to get a head jump on this new closer.

first two batters singled. then a sac bunt to move runners to 2nd and 3rd. intentional walk to load the bases with one out. then he got out of the jam with 2 fly ball outs i think.
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby getoffmywalrus » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:30 am

haha nooo, I meant details on the closer situation in Colorado, as in sources stating he is no longer the closer and if not, who is.
"Carl Everett's the best player in baseball, just ask him." -Ryan Dempster
getoffmywalrus
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers