Return to Baseball Leftovers

Casey: is he legit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Casey: is he legit?

Postby Victor » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:34 am

Hey guys,

This guy is driving me nuts! He's on my team, but I can't figure out if he's for real. I have no idea about his value, but after going 5/6 with 2 HR and 4 RBI tonight, I am starting to become a believer. What do you guys think. Is he prone to bust, or is this his breakout year?

-Victor
Victor
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bibsybob » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:36 am

i picked him up for a little bit to sub in for an injured player i think in the beginning of the season then promptly dropped him to bring someone back from the dl. I shoulda held onto this guy...
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:37 am

He is for real, though not a power hitting 1B, he will, when healthy, drive in runs and is a doubles machine. Look at his numbers, gotta be for real. The last couple of years when he wasn;t producing he was battling hand injurys. Now he has protection and is a real clutch player.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Randy Watson » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:45 am

He has the ugliest swing and first step in baseball, but he is getting it done. I am really surprised by his power #s.
"Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit!"
Randy Watson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:57 am

Casey legit? The guy's a lifetime plus .300 hitter! Take a look at his 1999-2001 numbers. His health was an issue the last two years, thus the dip, although he was hardly terrible last year. The power surge is impressive, as he's never topped 25 HR's.

Casey is not prone to big slumps, as he has a good eye and makes consistent contact. A .330 avg, with solid power numbers seems totally within reason at this point.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby zepfan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:04 am

Where would anyone rank Casey for 1B at this point? I just got Delgado for Casey in a trade but I'm starting to wonder about that after tonight's performance.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:04 am

Other thing to remember is that this is first healthy season in that postage stamp of a ballpark, meaning that many of what were doubles in the past will now fall as HRs. His BA is definitely for real, and I would not be surprised to see him become a 20-25 HR guy.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:21 am

I ended up trading L.Gonzalez for him in the Cafe Challenge league a couple weeks ago. Thought that was a pretty fair deal.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby vladrules » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:03 am

Picked him up as a FA. Had him and Sweeney but dropped Casey. But then traded Sweeney in a package to get D.Ortiz. Not bad but if had Casey and D.Ortiz, I'd do even better. Everyone said that he'll cool off so dropped him. If you have him, stay the course. Playing at home sure helps.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 51)

Postby jimhorn888 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:06 am

How on earth can you ask if casey is legit or not? He's a lifetime .300+ hitter who is finally healthy. And here's the BIG news. He has a healthy Griffey swinging a hot bat in the order right behind him for the first time ever! He's going to see lots of pitches to hit and he's going to hit them.
jimhorn888
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers