Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter Lost Season turned Career Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter Lost Season turned Career Year

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:38 am

Ok so Jeter started out worse then anyone thought possible but he was still hitting for some power during that awaul start, since absolutely busting out and raising his average above 250 he has done something else that has gone unoticed. Jeter has shown a HUGE increase in power from previous seasons. The knock on the fantasy player Derek has always been that he was overrated b/c since has has 6 worldseries rings, is a national celebrity, and so on everyone just considers him one of the best in the game when really over his career he is basically a really consistent 300 hitter who scores runs, can steal some bases, and hit for solid power. In Fantasy however he was never even close to being in the same league as Arod, Nomar, Tejada although Nomar and Tejada both failed to reeach 30HR last season and Nomar wont this season, Tejada is barely on pace too.

So right now Derek Jeter is on pace for

91 Runs
24 HR
84 RBI
14 SB

Now Jeter has 10HR right now in 64 games
He hit 10 HR last season in 119 games 8-o 8-o 8-o

Jeter's yearly averages for his carreer are a follows

122 Runs
17 HR
83 RBI
23 SB
314 AVG

Ok so Jeter is going to be close to 17HR probably around the all star break. With Jeter slump over I see no reason why he isnt going to hit 30HR for the first time in his career and if not 30 he will hit more then 25 which would still be more then his career high of 24.

What does all this mean? Well Jeter is going to end up with numbers of what you expected from Nomar and Tejada preseason.

Another intresting fact Jeter is a career 325 hitter after the break, and a career 342 hitter in July. So he gets better as the year goes on.

I think this guy has a shot at

100+ Runs
30 HR
100 RBI
15 SB

Those numbers are exactly would you expected from Nomar and Tejada (tejada less steals).

And not too long ago we people wanted to drop the guy.

Lost season turned career year ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeter Lost Season turned Career Year

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:18 am

GSes wrote:Ok so Jeter started out worse then anyone thought possible but he was still hitting for some power during that awaul start, since absolutely busting out and raising his average above 250 he has done something else that has gone unoticed. Jeter has shown a HUGE increase in power from previous seasons. The knock on the fantasy player Derek has always been that he was overrated b/c since has has 6 worldseries rings, is a national celebrity, and so on everyone just considers him one of the best in the game when really over his career he is basically a really consistent 300 hitter who scores runs, can steal some bases, and hit for solid power. In Fantasy however he was never even close to being in the same league as Arod, Nomar, Tejada although Nomar and Tejada both failed to reeach 30HR last season and Nomar wont this season, Tejada is barely on pace too.

91 Runs
24 HR
84 RBI
14 SB

So his BA is way down, runs are way down, SB are way down, and RBI are the same. A slight increase in HR isn't going to change my opinion on him: over-rated.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:46 am

LBJackal wrote:
GSes wrote:Ok so Jeter started out worse then anyone thought possible but he was still hitting for some power during that awaul start, since absolutely busting out and raising his average above 250 he has done something else that has gone unoticed. Jeter has shown a HUGE increase in power from previous seasons. The knock on the fantasy player Derek has always been that he was overrated b/c since has has 6 worldseries rings, is a national celebrity, and so on everyone just considers him one of the best in the game when really over his career he is basically a really consistent 300 hitter who scores runs, can steal some bases, and hit for solid power. In Fantasy however he was never even close to being in the same league as Arod, Nomar, Tejada although Nomar and Tejada both failed to reeach 30HR last season and Nomar wont this season, Tejada is barely on pace too.

91 Runs
24 HR
84 RBI
14 SB

So his BA is way down, runs are way down, SB are way down, and RBI are the same. A slight increase in HR isn't going to change my opinion on him: over-rated.

Of course he is always been overrated, I believe I said that in the post......Have you at all been watching this guy lately, he is on a TARE. Or is it LBKJackyl, you just have a personal goal to DISAGREE with everything and anything I ever say. I agree with you some times when I think your right, while you never agree with me. I really think we should play in a league together next year, so I can proove to you I am better and I am right :-D :-D :-D :-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_One » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:49 am

LBJackal wrote:

91 Runs
24 HR
84 RBI
14 SB

I believe what Jackal has said, the way I think of Jeter is just being a clutch hitter when there in the playoffs.
The_One
College Coach
College Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -28)

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:51 am

The_One wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

91 Runs
24 HR
84 RBI
14 SB

I believe what Jackal has said, the way I think of Jeter is just being a clutch hitter when there in the playoffs.

I agree, I even said that, Derek Jeter is an overrated player.

All I am saying is the increse in power this year may lead to a career season. Even if he has a 30HR season, I will still take Tejada and Nomar ahead of Jeter next year.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:14 am

Well the career season may occur, although not likely. And definately not this season. In HR maybe, but not in any other category.

And I actually do agree with you a lot of the time. I just don't post about soemthign unless I think it's wrong most of the time. Sometimes I confuse you and ZIG because of the avatars, but when the post has something to do with reality I figure it's you :-b So it's not that I don't agree with you ever.........it's just that if I do, I usually don't say "yeah I agree with that". I like to debate things, not just accept what everybody says........just my nature, don't take it personally :-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:33 am

Jeter is batting somewhere around .255 right now. If he hits .330 for the rest of the season, he'll bat .300. If he hits a little lower, his average will still be .285-.295 which is a better average than people expected from Tejada.

This makes me want to laugh at all the people who traded him or especailly dropped him. I don't know how overrated he can be as a fantasy player. If he adds more homeruns and RBIs then he'll be just as valuable as guys like Tejada and Nomar as GSes said. Overrated in real life? Sure. Not in fantasy.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby mikcou » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:04 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Jeter is batting somewhere around .255 right now. If he hits .330 for the rest of the season, he'll bat .300. If he hits a little lower, his average will still be .285-.295 which is a better average than people expected from Tejada.

This makes me want to laugh at all the people who traded him or especailly dropped him. I don't know how overrated he can be as a fantasy player. If he adds more homeruns and RBIs then he'll be just as valuable as guys like Tejada and Nomar as GSes said. Overrated in real life? Sure. Not in fantasy.

he is defineltly overrated in fantasy and his sother stats are down from previous years...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Mr Last Place » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:17 pm

Jeter's playoff "clutchness" is what's really overrated.Not to say his numbers aren't good,just that he's the same guy regular or post season

Regular Season .317 BA .389 OBP .462 SLG
Post Season .314 BA .385 OBP .469 SLG

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jeterde01.shtml
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:07 pm

Jeter is overrated if you're looking at things from a purely statistical standpoint, which is our primary concern here in rotoville. But in the real world, he probably isn't overrated. Tough to put an exact value on intangibles, but there just isn't any denying he's worth a ton in this regard. And as a Red Sox fan, that's precisely the reason I can't stand the guy. He's been the glue on this team for years.

But I agree that the way we cafe denizens play the game, he is indeed overrated.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers