Return to Baseball Leftovers

Percival off the DL,does everyone think he has his job back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Percival off the DL,does everyone think he has his job back?

Postby FF Newb but Lovin it » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:06 am

I am curious how others feel. I know K-Rod is invaluable as a set up guy, but he has been outstanding as a closer. You think they will stick Percival out for a few opps and then use him as trade bait? Or will they just keep K-Rod asthe setup guy until the season is over?
FF Newb but Lovin it
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby funatic » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:09 am

I hope so..! I have Valverde on the DL, and now Affeldt too...

The Angels' bullpen really looks pretty though... with Donnely, K-rod and Percy(hopefully) to finish the games.
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -13)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:29 am

My impression of scossia(and i am NOT close to the situation by any stretch of the imagination) is,,,,,I think he is one of the many managers who say things like "you never lose your job because of injury" yada yada yada. However, the difference being is that i really think he DOES beleive in that theory being a former player and all. I am pretty sure that he will put Percival back into the closers role as soon as he is healthy enough. That said here is my crystal ball:

Percival will come in ,maybe succeed a few times (but do so ugly), struggle once or twice and maybe even blow a save or 2. Immediately if not sooner(now in fact) fans will be clamoring for Krod , ready and willing to toss Percival away. If he struggles bad or even anywhere near bad, the fan pressure to make the change will force him to do so sooner than later.

just my opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby tmoney » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:36 am

Keep in mind that they are paying Percy $7,833,333 this year, while they are only paying KRod $375,000 this year. Im sure they will be pushing for Percival to play, because who really wants $7,833,333 to go to waste?
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:55 am

Could it be the elbow was the cause of Percival's problems? Someone dropped him in one of my leagues and I was able to grab him as a FA. He's definitely got the job, I just hope he keeps it. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Urge » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:38 pm

They're not going to ride Perci out of playoff contention no matter how much they're paying him. If he's not getting the job done Krod will take over.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby The Jury » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:40 pm

He'll get injured; he'll also get saves. So far he's gotten injured, so look for the saves to come :-b
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby TonyCee » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:06 pm

There is no way at all that Pecry would lose his job this year unless he pulled a John Rocker.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

from rotoworld

Postby tracey518 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:10 pm

Angels activated RHP Troy Percival from the 15-day disabled list.
Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Percival's return isn't a guarantee that he will be used as a closer. Scioscia is entertaining the idea of using Percival in a non-closer role for an outing or two before putting him back into the closer's spot. Depending on how he pitches, Percival could be back closing out games for the Angels by the end of the week. However, if he struggles, it is not out of the question that Fransisco Rodriguez will continue to be the Angels' closer. We will see how this plays out. Jun. 27 - 8:50 am et

he pitched the eighth today, perfect inning, he did hit shawn green tho.
tracey518
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby jimhorn888 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:13 pm

Yes he will have his job back.
jimhorn888
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football