Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad is in love with his arm.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vlad is in love with his arm.

Postby matmat » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:31 pm

I am watching the LA-ANA game right now, but I've noticed this in many other angel games this year. Vlad very often overthrows the cutoff man, and, if he doesn't get the out, usually gives up an extra base. That can't be a good thing, can it?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynoSandberg » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:05 pm

A Escobar leads MLB outfielders with 9 assists, V Guerrero has 7 and is tied for 2nd with Dunn, Jenkins, Payton, Abreu.

He's got an awesome arm. Once you have a reputation of having a great arm in the outfield, baserunners will think twice about advancing on you. To get that reputation, outfielders need to get some assists

I don't get to see him play regularly, but if he's throwing the ball 10 feet over the cutoff man's head, that's not advisable. You want to keep the ball on a low trajectory, so trailing runners can't tell ahead of time it's going to miss the cut off man.

A lower trajectory forces the trailing baserunners to freeze. Airmail it over the cutoff man and the trailing runners won't skip a beat and will continue to the next base. This typically occurs when the batter singles and advances to second when the lead runner heads to third or home.

Wow, that was too much information :-b
Ryan ExpressIncognitoA Helping Head
RynoSandberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:11 pm

The one knock on Vlad is that he's always tried to throw everyone out by himself. This goes all the way back to his rookie days in Montreal, so I guess it's something that won't be changing.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Re: Vlad is in love with his arm.

Postby Urge » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:41 pm

matmat wrote:I am watching the LA-ANA game right now, but I've noticed this in many other angel games this year. Vlad very often overthrows the cutoff man, and, if he doesn't get the out, usually gives up an extra base. That can't be a good thing, can it?

That's the exact same thing I heard one of the announcers say in a game I watched last week where he overthrew the cutoff, missed the plate by a mile, and the runner took second.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Ender » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:17 pm

Maybe Jenkins will finally win the gold glove he deserves this year, though I suppose he has to stay healthy the whole year to do it. Guy hasn't made an error in forever, makes a few exceptional plays and while he doesn't have the strongest arm of all LF's out there his throws are almost always right on the money.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Pochuck » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:40 pm

Being older than most here I can tell You Vlads arm is definitely in top 5 that I have ever seen and I go as far back as early 60s.
Colovito and Clemente were two other fantastic arms!
Pochuck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Pochuck » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:41 pm

Being older than most here I can tell You Vlads arm is definitely in top 5 that I have ever seen and I go as far back as early 60s.
Pochuck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: -1)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:57 am

Having a great arm can be worse than having a mediocre arm if you dont' use it properly.

Hitting the cutoff man is key. Taking the chance at getting a runner out isn't worth it if it means the guy on first advancing to 2B, since it makes a DP impossible and puts an extra player in scoring position. Assists can be misleading for that reason. I don't know the case with Vlad, since I havn't watched any of his games in full, but if he's trying to get assists all the time and letting runners advance, that's a bad thing. I can't imagine a team like Anaheim would allow that, but in Montreal I can see it happening a lot since they aren't good and need the glamour stats like HR's and OF assists to draw fans.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 am

Pochuck wrote:Being older than most here I can tell You Vlads arm is definitely in top 5 that I have ever seen and I go as far back as early 60s.

Vlad's arm is probably equal those two in terms of power, but his accuracy isn't close. I would take Mondesi and Larry Walker in their prime over Vlad in his.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:07 am

As a real coach, Ill take the minor defensive knock in exchange for the power stats this guy will give you.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Return to Baseball Leftovers